• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do Agencies rule your project?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The art of networking

It is astonishing that so many agents are so complacent as to not try and meet contractors. Networking is the single most effective way of getting business. One solid week of going out and spending as much time as possible with contractors would yield huge amounts of information and opportunities (unless you are a complete jerk of course which is probably why agents do not do this).

The cynical use of totty to do this is probably the most effective way of doing business there is. If the totty has brains or works with someone with the better communication skills then even better.

The problem is that recruitment agents are made to make 50 calls a day to gain references and information without properly working on developing relationships with people. They end up bludgeoning their way to get business and thus p*****g people off on the way. Instead they should be looking to build relationships with as many people as possible before blagging the information.

It is hard work and I do not do it anymore, but I am sure that if I got myself out into the bars around canary wharf and other contractor hotspots (armed with cash of course ) my time would be better spent than sitting here writing (and reading ) crap on this board.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

See, you do agree with me. Most agents don't actually do the job most clients think they do...

To be fair I know half a dozen agents reasonably well - certainly well enough to call up on spec - but if they ain't got the work, they're no use to me. Then again, I'm usually looking at the senior end of the market these days, I knew I should have stuck to sysadmin work!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
      X