• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot
    Thank you ****, Sometimes you've had enough of out and just want to sit in front of the tv. In Norway and getting sky to bothersome. Simple solution required. Have already download season 2 my name is earl, it's fantastic!
    It depends on what TV you want, but:
    1. if you can't get Sky, look at the best local cable or satellite option, from your point of view. "Local" might mean Danish (or possibly even Dutch) even though you're in Norway. You may get BBC World, BBC Prime for old series etc, and poss a local channel or 2 with English-language programmes sometimes. You'll get used to not reading the sub titles.
    2. Buy DVDs of films and series, when they come out. If you're not going down the (UK) pub and discussing last night's TV, you don't need it while it's current.

If you need more, Slingbox looks like what I dreamed of at one time.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface
      SLINGBOX works a treat
      If you're watching it on your computer... so if I wanted to conect the output to a TV how would I? I have a litte vaio for example I guess I could use a VGA to S-video convertor or something...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        It depends on what TV you want, but:
        1. if you can't get Sky, look at the best local cable or satellite option, from your point of view. "Local" might mean Danish (or possibly even Dutch) even though you're in Norway. You may get BBC World, BBC Prime for old series etc, and poss a local channel or 2 with English-language programmes sometimes. You'll get used to not reading the sub titles.
        2. Buy DVDs of films and series, when they come out. If you're not going down the (UK) pub and discussing last night's TV, you don't need it while it's current.

If you need more, Slingbox looks like what I dreamed of at one time.
        Yeah they do broadcast some good channels and in English. It's the odd litte thing, location location location, and river cottage that we're missing now!
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Slingboxes aren't bad, bittorrent is the traveller's friend though. Get a series downloaded, load your laptop over the weekend and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
            If you're watching it on your computer... so if I wanted to conect the output to a TV how would I? I have a litte vaio for example I guess I could use a VGA to S-video convertor or something...
            you plug and aerial or scart in the back of the slingbox and your ethernet and you have your router and player configured and it works over t'interweb.

on your home network or whereever can be routed through dynnds or their 'finder' servers.

It is ace.

Especially when faced with weeks of crap asian or US tv.

Comment

On a similar question how do you connect a computer to tv ?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
                Aye, slingbox is very good. Get one. Now.

So, you just set up a slingbox in the UK attached to your home TV system and you can view whatever is showing on the TV (via your computer) in a different country?
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Can you watch all cable channels or just the one it's currently tuned to?
                  i.e. can you control the cable box with it?

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe
                    So, you just set up a slingbox in the UK attached to your home TV system and you can view whatever is showing on the TV (via your computer) in a different country?
                    Yes, it also has a freeview box built in.

Originally posted by Pondlife
                    Can you watch all cable channels or just the one it's currently tuned to?
                    i.e. can you control the cable box with it?
                    Yes, and no. It can only show the output of the cable box. It comes with a couple of remote extender thingies that you put on top of your cable box. The Slingplayer on your computer has a "Virtual Remote" that gives (almost) full functionality. I say almost as I haven't found the button that equates to the big blue button on a telewest remote.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You can also hook it up to DVD players/recorders and other devices. Basically anything with a scart socket and view what that is showing as well. IIRC you can connect up to three devices at the same time and flick between them as you like.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X