• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving age 'must increase to 18'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving age 'must increase to 18'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6904821.stm

Feck me, only last week they were complaining that there weren't enough organ donors... make your mind up.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

If it stops these little runts in their "soup'd" up Corsas and Clit, sorry Clios then that is a good thing.

Maybe they should adopt the same approach that they did with bikes a while back. They limited the size of the engine you could have based on age I think it was.....

18-20: 1.0L
    20-25: 1.0L - 1600
    25-30: 2L and above....

Or something along those lines...or maybe a HP restriction?

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
      If it stops these little runts in their "soup'd" up Corsas and Clit, sorry Clios then that is a good thing.

Maybe they should adopt the same approach that they did with bikes a while back. They limited the size of the engine you could have based on age I think it was.....

HP restriction and minimum weight limit, a 20 year old in a 1400cc Caterham would still be very deadly!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/188491.htm
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In

Is there a connection between engine size/power and accidents? It's mostly the 1.0L Saxos and Corsas that are the problem. Thanks to insurance, it's pretty difficult for your average 17 year old to get anything with a decent amount of power.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          HP restriction and minimum weight limit, a 20 year old in a 1400cc Caterham would still be very deadly!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/188491.htm
          Yes but light means less momentum. One of those vs. a 4x4, and the 4x4 driver is barely going to notice, let alone be hurt.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

So, what if we make all new drivers drive 10 year old 4x4's?

Comment

But not all youngsters are reckless, it makes me sad when I hear of an 18 year old girl crushed to death in a saxo by a truck or 4x4 when she would have little choice in what she could afford to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                But not all youngsters are reckless, it makes me sad when I hear of an 18 year old girl crushed to death in a saxo by a truck or 4x4 when she would have little choice in what she could afford to drive.

As opposd to crushed to death by another saxo or a van?

Comment

I passed 10 days after 17th birthday. Went into a 1.3l. Now got a 135 bhp focus which I've had since 21 and had no accidents.

This "lessons spread over a year" thing is bollocks.

Comment

I don't think there is an easy solution but I do reckon the driving test is too easy...

Comment

Working...
                    X