• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Driving age 'must increase to 18'"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Simple answer; Do away with airbags and seatbelts. Replace them with a metal spike. It will make drivers think twice. The problem is that drivers feel too safe.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Surely people in their first year after passing the test are likely to crash more often, regardless of the minimum age..?

If they do change it to 18, I'd put money on a rise in deaths caused by 18 year old drivers, roughly equal to the decrease in deaths caused by 17 year olds.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    send them round to A & E to see some crash victims, and include a consequences of dangerous driving section as part of the course.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    I don't think there is an easy solution but I do reckon the driving test is too easy...
    Probably, but it's not necessarily that these people aren't good enough drivers. It's that they think they're immortal (as you do when you're 17), and then show off to their mates by driving faster than they can handle. I used to do it.

I think the rule about banning them from taking passengers at night time is a good one, though it does seem a little bit harsh from a civil liberties point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars
    Assuming the kid driving has taken and passed a driving test

Of course..but thats a different issue altogether.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Raise the test age to 25. get a few people off the road.

Anyway the only way kids can afford the petrol is by gewtting into debt - bad for em.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    I don't think there is an easy solution but I do reckon the driving test is too easy...
    Assuming the kid driving has taken and passed a driving test

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    Well if they are of equal mass then it’s less likely that the outcome would be so one sided, think ping pong ball and sledge hammer.
    Really depends on how the 2 cars collide....

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    As opposd to crushed to death by another saxo or a van?
    Well if they are of equal mass then it’s less likely that the outcome would be so one sided, think ping pong ball and sledge hammer.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I passed 10 days after 17th birthday. Went into a 1.3l. Now got a 135 bhp focus which I've had since 21 and had no accidents.

This "lessons spread over a year" thing is bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    But not all youngsters are reckless, it makes me sad when I hear of an 18 year old girl crushed to death in a saxo by a truck or 4x4 when she would have little choice in what she could afford to drive.

As opposd to crushed to death by another saxo or a van?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    But not all youngsters are reckless, it makes me sad when I hear of an 18 year old girl crushed to death in a saxo by a truck or 4x4 when she would have little choice in what she could afford to drive.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    So, what if we make all new drivers drive 10 year old 4x4's?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    HP restriction and minimum weight limit, a 20 year old in a 1400cc Caterham would still be very deadly!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/188491.htm
    Yes but light means less momentum. One of those vs. a 4x4, and the 4x4 driver is barely going to notice, let alone be hurt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X