• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices rise in June

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~Craig~
    meaning?
    You can make more money on the stock market than in BTL?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
      4 children, plus need a guest room / office.
      Have you got 4 kids?!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Perhaps I can explain this with the following example.

The price of an apple is 50p and the price of a Pear is 60p. Over one month an apple is now worth 51p but a pear is worth 80p.

In this case price of a pear has risen faster than the apple.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          Perhaps I can explain this with the following example.

The price of an apple is 50p and the price of a Pear is 60p. Over one month an apple is now worth 51p but a pear is worth 80p.

In this case price of a pear has risen faster than the apple.
          Ah, but the bank wont borrow you shed loads of cash at low intrest rates to buy pears. Only apples.
          Last edited by pickle; 4 July 2007, 11:54.

Comment

With BTL you have leveraged gains.

So the if you have £10K to invest, and you buy stocks and stocks go up 15% in a year, you have made £1.5K profit.

If you get a 90% BTL mortgage, borrow £90K and buy a £100K house and it goes up 10% you have made £10K profit. Doubled your money.

Also, stocks can go to zero and become worthless. Property may fall, but unlikely houses are going to be free.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
              Ah, but the bank wont borrow you shed loads of cash at low intrest rates to buy pears. Only apples.

H
              Presumably if you want to avoid apples and pears, you buy a bungalow.

Comment

The main problem with the BTL millionaires are that they must sell the property to make the cash.

Now this if fine if people sold at a steady rate/ However the first time a property show called s"elling your house before the crash" comes on they will sell in droves and this is what I think will cause the normalisation.

I reckon it will "tip" when the rates hit 6.25%

Comment

The leveraged gains on BTL can be positive, but...if you invest 10K in a house worth 100K and it goes down by 20% you have -£20,000. Yes you have a house worth £80,000 but then you have a loan of £100,000. Whereas if you plonk 10 grand on the stock market and it goes down 50% you still have £5000, which is decidely better than £-20000. ...and yes a single stock can go to 0, but then you don't invest in single shares; lets say you invest in a fund representing the FTSE 100, as far as I know the FTSE has been up and down but I've never known it to go to 0, not yet.

So basically in whatever asset category you choose you can take a high risk or a low risk. So leverage is one thing the other is what return you expect on the asset itself. I mean you can always mortgage your house and put the proceeds on the stock market.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                    The main problem with the BTL millionaires are that they must sell the property to make the cash.

Now this if fine if people sold at a steady rate/ However the first time a property show called s"elling your house before the crash" comes on they will sell in droves and this is what I think will cause the normalisation.

I reckon it will "tip" when the rates hit 6.25%
                    indeed - remember all the dot com paper millionaires?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                      The leveraged gains on BTL can be positive, but...if you invest 10K in a house worth 100K and it goes down by 20% you have -£20,000. Yes you have a house worth £80,000 but then you have a loan of £100,000. Whereas if you plonk 10 grand on the stock market and it goes down 50% you still have £5000, which is decidely better than £-20000. ...and yes a single stock can go to 0, but then you don't invest in single shares; lets say you invest in a fund representing the FTSE 100, as far as I know the FTSE has been up and down but I've never known it to go to 0, not yet.

So basically in whatever asset category you choose you can take a high risk or a low risk. So leverage is one thing the other is what return you expect on the asset itself. I mean you can always mortgage your house and put the proceeds on the stock market.
                      Or you could leverage your 10K to do some spread betting - IMHO a much easier way to invest in the indices.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X