• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What salary makes it better to be Permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole 'contractors with cars' thing comes up a lot on this board - whether it's 'cars are evil' or 'cars show how rich you are' or whatever. I'd love to buy a fancier car than I currently own, but I can't get over the fact that I just drive to work and back, and then they just depreciate for 22 hours a day unused.

Once I've got Mrs Zorba the increasingly-fancier house of her dreams, and set the kids up for the future, I'll look at getting a piece of tin. Until then, mundane motors for me.

Comment

Now we are all intrigued. Are we about to find out what Bagpuss drives?

Comment

Originally posted by VJTheDJ
        Now we are all intrigued. Are we about to find out what Bagpuss drives?
        He can't drive. He's just an old, soggy, cloth cat.

But I love him.

Signed,
        Emily

P.S. Professor Yaffle drives a 911 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          It just makes me laugh when people feel the need to brag about what they have, or the (high) minimum they'd work for , but at the same time are proud of owning such a poo car.
          Hmm, this does not make sense. I think it is worse to take the P!ss.

Zorba's constructive comments are much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
            That wooden git has always been a flash git. Don't get him started on his yacht.

Comment

Originally posted by VJTheDJ
              I used to be a contractor pre-IR35 and then worked abroad (no I wasn't in prison ). Now I am in London and earning a pretty good basic salary.
              (Under the current Tax laws I think that my net income would only go up by 12k if I take a 500/day contract.)

So the question is, What salary do all of you guys feel would make it worth staying permie for?
              Personally would have to be 85k+ min 25 days holiday, allow home working, car, plus bonus...

Turn this down at least once a week...

But I know I would hate it within a year!

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
                He can't drive. He's just an old, soggy, cloth cat.

But I love him.

Signed,
                Emily

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X