• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What salary makes it better to be Permie?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    He can't drive. He's just an old, soggy, cloth cat.

But I love him.

Signed,
    Emily

P.S. Professor Yaffle drives a 911 though.

Leave a comment:

• ContractIn
    replied
    Originally posted by VJTheDJ
    I used to be a contractor pre-IR35 and then worked abroad (no I wasn't in prison ). Now I am in London and earning a pretty good basic salary.
    (Under the current Tax laws I think that my net income would only go up by 12k if I take a 500/day contract.)

So the question is, What salary do all of you guys feel would make it worth staying permie for?
    Personally would have to be 85k+ min 25 days holiday, allow home working, car, plus bonus...

Turn this down at least once a week...

But I know I would hate it within a year!

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    That wooden git has always been a flash git. Don't get him started on his yacht.

Leave a comment:

• VJTheDJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    It just makes me laugh when people feel the need to brag about what they have, or the (high) minimum they'd work for , but at the same time are proud of owning such a poo car.
    Hmm, this does not make sense. I think it is worse to take the P!ss.

Zorba's constructive comments are much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Now we are all intrigued. Are we about to find out what Bagpuss drives?
    He can't drive. He's just an old, soggy, cloth cat.

But I love him.

Signed,
    Emily

Leave a comment:

• VJTheDJ
    replied
    Now we are all intrigued. Are we about to find out what Bagpuss drives?

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    The whole 'contractors with cars' thing comes up a lot on this board - whether it's 'cars are evil' or 'cars show how rich you are' or whatever. I'd love to buy a fancier car than I currently own, but I can't get over the fact that I just drive to work and back, and then they just depreciate for 22 hours a day unused.

Once I've got Mrs Zorba the increasingly-fancier house of her dreams, and set the kids up for the future, I'll look at getting a piece of tin. Until then, mundane motors for me.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    It just makes me laugh when people feel the need to brag about what they have, or the (high) minimum they'd work for , but at the same time are proud of owning such a poo car.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Now now, play nicely, kids. We're all loaded - I hope.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    What salary makes it better to be Permie?
    A larger one

HTH

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    That is right I am not a contractor! BUT I am not poor either... some of us have other priorities.... I cropped the photo so that you don't see my 4 bed detached house with 3 bathrooms & garage.....
    Thas us told Bagpuss, bet his other properties are sh1t.

VJTheDJ you do have other properties ?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    That is right I am not a contractor! BUT I am not poor either... some of us have other priorities.... I cropped the photo so that you don't see my 4 bed detached house with 3 bathrooms & garage.....
    Who doesn't have one of those?

Leave a comment:

• VJTheDJ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    I used to be a contractor pre-IR35 and then worked abroad (no I wasn't in prison ). Now I am in London and earning a pretty good basic salary.
    (Under the current Tax laws I think that my net income would only go up by 12k if I take a 500/day contract.)

So the question is, What salary do all of you guys feel would make it worth staying permie for?
    I think you should sit tight - of course your years of service etc should be taken into account. When you're permy you can fairly reasonably expect increases in your salary, driven by skill and talent or at least inflation. With contracting, rates are in the hands of the gods.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I just spotted your avatar, which confirms you are a bullsh1tter. Peugeot 406 coupe
    Bagpuss, it's not nice to mock the poor, they can't all be contractors

Leave a comment:

Working...
X