• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happiness is... a job in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And how are you, sad people?
    http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/d...=1183124790000

June 29, 2007 - 3:17 PM

The findings of German consultancy group geva Institut back up the results of other polls in recent years that show the Swiss get more out of their work than most other countries
    Some 80 per cent get on with their colleagues and nearly three-quarters like their boss.

"It is in the general nature of the Swiss that they are highly motivated to go out to work," Dieter Kissling, leader of the Swiss Institute for Work Medicine, told swissinfo.

"Employees here are given a lot of responsibility and flexibility that allows them to shine in the workplace. There is a greater tendency to work on large complex projects rather than screwing in the same screw a thousand times.

"The atmosphere in the workplace is generally good and workers have good chances to advance their careers and their own personal development."

The job satisfaction study shows Switzerland lying in second place behind Mexico – a result that surprised both the geva Institut researchers and Kissling – with the United States coming third. The next highest-ranked European country was sixth-placed Germany.

Japan was found to have the most disgruntled employees, coming last of the 25 nations surveyed.

Stressed out

Swiss employees were more satisfied than their European counterparts with social development and the atmosphere at work, training and advancement opportunities and work-life balance.

The positive Swiss scores compared with other European countries did not surprise Kissling.

"Compared with Sweden or Germany, for example, there is a much lower rate of absenteeism, which is directly related to job satisfaction," he said. "The workplaces in other European countries tend to be much more controlling than Switzerland."

Nearly two-thirds of those surveyed in Switzerland considered their workload to be appropriate. However, a survey conducted two years ago by a recruitment services consultancy found that a third of Swiss workers are stressed – a higher proportion than anywhere in Europe.
    Kissling believes that stress is a growing problem, not just in Switzerland but around the world.

"We have a very high workload that leads to high stress levels and consequent psychological problems," he said.

"But this is a worldwide phenomenon and Switzerland is already successfully adapting the workplace to meet this demand. Therefore, I would expect Swiss workers to remain comparatively happy in the future."

swissinfo, Matthew Allen
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

anyone would be happy sitting on a vault full of nazi gold.

Comment

Mexico came top

The Swiss also have the highest quality of life in Europe according to another survey, sounds like the place to be .

Comment

I worked in Switzerland for a year and found them to be smug, inefficient and boring as hell. Why don't you get of your arse and go there if you like it so much, eh?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm sure they found you to be deeply interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by pisces
            I'm sure they found you to be deeply interesting.
            Aye.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              I worked in Switzerland for a year and found them to be smug, inefficient and boring as hell. Why don't you get of your arse and go there if you like it so much, eh?
              I am already here. I see you are as slow as usual, huh?

It's good to get away from a sad bunch of london losers like yourself that are sad even if they have a million pound of cash in their pocket and don't know how to spend it. Believe me, there is more than money in life: quality of life, something that doesn't exist in London unfortunately.

To thunderlizard: I yet have to find an ethical state which did not make money out of wars, mafia, drugs, etc.. Given the chance all states would have done exactly the same.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                I am already here. I see you are as slow as usual, huh?

It's good to get away from a sad bunch of london losers like yourself that are sad even if they have a million pound of cash in their pocket and don't know how to spend it. Believe me, there is more than money in life: quality of life, something that doesn't exist in London unfortunately.

To thunderlizard: I yet have to find an ethical state which did not make money out of wars, mafia, drugs, etc.. Given the chance all states would have done exactly the same.
                You're such a saddo

When a man is tired of London, he's tired of life - Samuel Johnson.
                Still true after all these centuries.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

swissinfo, Matthew Allen
                  My problem with Switzerland, well Zurich was, even the street festival felt like attending a trade show. Completely soul less, no atmosphere. They may think they are having a good time but I am not sure that they know what a good time is.
                  Last edited by alreadypacked; 1 July 2007, 22:07.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?

Like most people I've had periods of my life when I was very happy, and periods when I was not. When I was very happy I wasn't busying myself on bulletin boards on the internet telling strangers how happy I was.

When you're not even thinking about how happy you might be, that's when you're happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X