• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desktop Support - going rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mictech
    They want £9/hour in the north, the problem is the market is flooded and someone will take it.
    It's not just the market that's flooded up north...
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      How's that damn dam going?

Is it still holding water?
      Touch and go. They're not home and dry yet.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Dah, da da da dda da daa...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
          Dah, da da da dda da daa...
          07:58

Comment

Here up North that's a good rate. Clients/agencies tend to take the pee a bit with specs though. It's not unusual to see an ad for minimum MCSE 2003 with equivilant Cisco knowledge for £10-12 per hour.

A good Desktop Support monkey (such as myself ) doesn't just fix a printer or whatever, they serve as pretty much the only point of contact with IT that can actually function socially. The Helpless desk tends to be monosyllabic numbskulls who don't record the calls details and the 3rd line/server bods can't speak in anything less that 100% geek-speak - or are of the opinion actually speaking to users is beneath them.

Unfortunately clients will take the cheapest spaz who then screws things up, annoys the userbase and puts the clients off either taking on contractors in the future or risk paying more for a quality guy (me again ).

Comment

You'd get half that rate oop north.

Comment

But does anybody use Reuters and Bloomberg up North? They'd probably think they were a music-hall tap-dancing duo.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone
                  Here up North that's a good rate. Clients/agencies tend to take the pee a bit with specs though. It's not unusual to see an ad for minimum MCSE 2003 with equivilant Cisco knowledge for £10-12 per hour.

A good Desktop Support monkey (such as myself ) doesn't just fix a printer or whatever, they serve as pretty much the only point of contact with IT that can actually function socially. The Helpless desk tends to be monosyllabic numbskulls who don't record the calls details and the 3rd line/server bods can't speak in anything less that 100% geek-speak - or are of the opinion actually speaking to users is beneath them.

Unfortunately clients will take the cheapest spaz who then screws things up, annoys the userbase and puts the clients off either taking on contractors in the future or risk paying more for a quality guy (me again ).
                  So you're contradicting yourself and you're the cheapest spaz?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard1974uk
                    So you're contradicting yourself
                    how so?

and you're the cheapest spaz?
                    Not the cheapest

Comment

Working...
                    X