• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Say 'No' to interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    why would I or a contractor want things to be any different?
    Completely agree. It only gets sticky when the client wants permie behaviour from the contractor.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
      Completely agree. It only gets sticky when the client wants permie behaviour from the contractor.
      Which is generally what the client wants as it gives them the most flexibility and control.

Comment

Most clients want permie behaviour, that's why most people on here work a 37.5 hour week, bums on seat. Acting like a bolshy shop steward isn't likely to lead to an offer of a renewal.
        I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
          Most clients want permie behaviour, that's why most people on here work a 37.5 hour week, bums on seat. Acting like a bolshy shop steward isn't likely to lead to an offer of a renewal.
          Partly right, Numpty. Working practices are pretty important though. You can have a sensible conversation without being bolshy.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I've been a technical contact on a few interviews for the client, either recruiting for additional members of the same team as me, or for different teams where I have still had some relevant input to offer.

I consider it a case of the client using the right person's expertise to assist them during the interview, whether that person is a permanent member of the workforce or an external consultant has little bearing on it I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
              I've been a technical contact on a few interviews for the client, either recruiting for additional members of the same team as me, or for different teams where I have still had some relevant input to offer.

I consider it a case of the client using the right person's expertise to assist them during the interview, whether that person is a permanent member of the workforce or an external consultant has little bearing on it I would say.
              And I bet you don't need to be a member of mensa to work that one out. well said!
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                And I bet you don't need to be a member of mensa to work that one out. well said!
                Good job too. I tend to be fairly dim by the time Friday afternoon comes around...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  That was me wasn't it?
                  No, he definitely didn't have scales.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
                    As long as they sign it I don't give a feck. You should of said he will remember that when you ask for a pay rise/extension.
                    should have said!!!!! (not of).

I don't agree about the interview, you're contracted to do general IT work for the company and in this instance, the work they wanted you to do was interview someone.

Comment

I was asked to interview a geezer for the client last year. My interview ended up in a case for discrimination.

At the time I thought the interview had gone quite well ...

Comment

Working...
                      X