• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dog fighting in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane
    Assuming that you happen to have some tasty biscuits in your good hand at the time the dog bites you.

Always pays to be prepared though...kinda like being a boy scout...dib dib!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      If a dog ever bites you don't try to pull, push instead. A dogs jaws are designed to lock once he has bitten down and pulling will only make the dog pull more. Best thing to do is get the dog to take you arm, grab the back of its head and try and force your arm down its throat.

If done properly it will start gagging and release you and they won't be able to put as much pressure into the bite. This is a last line of defense thing though, I wouldn't suggest going out and trying to get bitten to try it out
      The problem is that the dog will bite from behind. If you turn toward the dog the dog will move with you. I was told the best defence was to part the dogs hind legs and brake them. If the dog attacks your arms and legs especially from behind.

The only way to get a dog off is to stab it or shoot it
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        brake

Comment

Every dog's 'kill' instinct is to go for above or below the throat of another animal.

So simply grabbing the dog's throat firmly will make it realise it is now on the loosing side and it will quickly release. Once released, don't let go of the throat - keep squeezing as hard as you can until the lack of oxygen weakens and pacifies the animal. Use your other (Released) hand to grab the dog by the scruff of the neck. Now it can't touch you with those teeth and you're in control.

I learned this from experience with a Doberman. Trying to protect my dog from being attacked from it, I still have the bite marks and the owner was both prosecuted and sued. Needless to say, the Doberman was despatched to the great Kennel in the Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            The only way to get a dog off is to stab it or shoot it
            The tough ones will just bite harder.

I know a couple of people who train personal protection dogs both here in the UK and the US. They use breaking sticks if ever things go pear-shaped. The sticks are cylindrical and look like handlebar grips, only a little chunkier. You stick one in each side of the dog's mouth at the back and then turn the grips as if you were opening the throttle on a motorbike.

This is all well and good when there is someone else with you and it is a controlled environment. Getting a heavy, hard-mouthed pooch off you in the real world is going to be tough. Someone once told me the best thing to do is not to fight back, but stay calm, such that the dog gets calm and releases. You would have to be a pretty cool character to be able to do that!
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

What about a shot to the head with a 9mm Browning?

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                ...... and that's why I'm carrying this gun officer
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
                  ...... and that's why I'm carrying this gun officer
                  Like I said with the biscuits, it always pays to be prepared...

Comment

I don't know what sort of gun it was, but here is one example.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Like I said with the biscuits, it always pays to be prepared...
                      I suppose you could avoid carrying the gun yourself by dialling 999 and saying that you are being savaged by a Brazilian. Hey presto - the Met do the shooting for you!
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X