• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NatWest online banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angusglover
    Yep, the chances of them providing a driver for MAC OS X are slim...
    Not necessarily; they were one of the first UK banks to officially support Safari for their online banking, so they are at least aware that Windows isn't the only OS in the world.

If they cock it up and it isn't supported on OS X, I'll just fire up a Parallels VM - the best of both worlds

Comment

When did accessing an online bank account just bring up a box with a UID and password? All the ones I use require individual chars from your pin and password to be entered in a different order every time, you can't just click remember password.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The card reader came in the post yesterday, it doesn't connect to your PC in any way, when online you're asked to key in certain things that return encrypted codes.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          The card reader came in the post yesterday, it doesn't connect to your PC in any way, when online you're asked to key in certain things that return encrypted codes.
          Does it have RSA SecurID written on it anywhere? That's what the chaps here use for VPN.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule
            Does it have RSA SecurID written on it anywhere? That's what the chaps here use for VPN.
            I don’t think so? I'll have a look tonight, I think it only accesses info on the card and doesn't actually have any real time encryption... it looks like a cheap calculator to me.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
              I don’t think so? I'll have a look tonight, I think it only accesses info on the card and doesn't actually have any real time encryption... it looks like a cheap calculator to me.
              These things usually change the number displayed on the token every minute. You enter, say, a 10 digit number based on a 4 digit PIN plus the currently displayed 6 digits on the token. The server will do all the clever stuff, including keeping a database of all the tokens (and any drift they may suffer) from an "agreed" server time.

Comment

I got mine a few days ago. Not sure its going to make it anymore secure as if you can steal my card and get my pin out of me then you can access banking.

Which is what you would have been able to o by stealing my banking pin from me in the first place. I suppose its more a defence against the key loggers on peoples PCs more than anything.

Shame my business accounts doesnt look like it will get the same protection.

ANd yes, it does look like a very naff calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                  I got mine a few days ago. Not sure its going to make it anymore secure as if you can steal my card and get my pin out of me then you can access banking.

Which is what you would have been able to o by stealing my banking pin from me in the first place. I suppose its more a defence against the key loggers on peoples PCs more than anything.

Shame my business accounts doesnt look like it will get the same protection.

ANd yes, it does look like a very naff calculator.
                  Some of these have a duress mode. If you enter the last digit of your PIN and/or the random bit, the system knows you're being forced to access your account, and scrambles the SWAT team to your position.

Comment

Working...
                  X