• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salman Rushdie title 'may spark attacks'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    Yes I remember those rations - 1 kg of meat per month, 1 bottle of vodka per adult, 10 eggs per month per person, 1 kg of sugar etc.
    You used to live better in the USSR then than those on benefits these days in the UK!
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      In the USA they are pretty religious, but the State is separated from any Church and this is pretty strict. That's the only way for a forward looking state to avoid falling into pitfalls of dogmas that slow down progress, but even there it happens from time to time.

Either you have your tongue shove firmly into your cheek or you are very naive about American politics.

The American Religious Right are a major political force and largely responsible for Bush being in power, along with the Big Oil co's.

In return for getting out the Republican vote the right wing religious groups get Whitehouse support for things like Intelligent Design, anti abortion legislation etc. No American politician today can ignore the Christian Right and get into power. Bush knew this and played to it and is still playing to it today.

The constitution may separate Church and State but politics puts them right back together again.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

10 eggs per month per person
        Wow. That's a Stakhanovite production target!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          The constitution may separate Church and State but politics puts them right back together again.
          As citizens they have right to religions believes and can vote - but what they can't do is for example win elections and use State resources to support just one church - their own: recently one judge was even forced by others to remove stone with 10 commendments from Bible that he had in his courtroom.

I'd say American separation of State and Church is as good as it can probably get in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            As citizens they have right to religions believes and can vote - but what they can't do is for example win elections and use State resources to support just one church - their own: recently one judge was even forced by others to remove stone with 10 commendments from Bible that he had in his courtroom.

I'd say American separation of State and Church is as good as it can probably get in this world.
            The French implementation of the same model is almost certainly better, by which I mean the widespread acceptance that the state should be secular.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

Q. Why has the president to affirm his christian beliefs before being sworn in?

Q. American money states - In god we trust

Q. America prides itself on being multicultural?

Q. why am I doing this again
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                The French implementation of the same model is almost certainly better, by which I mean the widespread acceptance that the state should be secular.
                It is possible - I remember they were pretty strict on religious symbols, I will accept that France dealt with religion better.

Diver: what you mention are custom, rather old at that and it has no practical implications on what state does - for example in Russia the State in violation of constituion gives financial preferences to one main church, now this should be a no-no and there is no such thing in the USA - all faiths are equal in this respect and equally far away from the State's affairs.

Ok, it may not be perfect - but look at countries like Iran where religion dictates everything, comparing to this USA, France, UK and even Russia are model secular states.

Comment

DaveB - The constitution may separate Church and State but politics puts them right back together again.

Q. How many muslims, hindu's, bhudists etc. hold possitions of political power in the US?

Q. How many muslims, hindu's, bhudists etc. hold positions of power in the government employment sector of the US.

They are US citizens too!
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    You are quite right. Here in France, the notion of separation between religion and state is very strong. We do not recognize the British notion of political correctness which seems, in many parts of Europe, to paralyse politicians from making the pragmatic decisions that need to be made.

Yet there is here a recognised clear line drawn between religion and state that sometimes confuses rational debate with outright racism. You may remember Sarkozy crossed that line with his infamous "scum" pronounciation during the riots in 2005.

France, like Britain, has it's own colonial past to deal with (Congo, Lebanon, Vietnam etc) but despite the mistakes, the sense of nationahod remains and many enlightended here would not tolerate any one justifying violence in the name of religion, historical victimisation or anything else despite the mistakes made in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
                      I see those fun-loving muslims had their full-time effigy burners out in force again
                      It is such a hypocritical religion.

Nuking from orbit sounds like a plan...

Comment

Working...
                      X