• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salman Rushdie title 'may spark attacks'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoes
    A big two fingers to the loonies, good choice. We're far too timid and back away far too readily on the off-chance of offending the minority of the irrational/mentally ill these days. It sends a message. A monarchy insulated from the rabid fashions of the time can be a good thing after all.
    Who says you're a lurker not a fighter?

right on!!!
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Lenin did say something relevant:

"freedom is such a precious commodity that it must be rationed"

Comment

Yes I remember those rations - 1 kg of meat per month, 1 bottle of vodka per adult, 10 eggs per month per person, 1 kg of sugar etc.

Comment

Probably because Christians have already had their loopy phase with Witchfinder Generals and Inquisitions in the middle ages.
          I agree. I reckon there's something about organised religions that mean they go through a kind of radical mid-life crisis 1300 about years after they start. We just need to work out what it is long before Scientology gets to that stage.

Comment

In the USA they are pretty religious, but the State is separated from any Church and this is pretty strict. That's the only way for a forward looking state to avoid falling into pitfalls of dogmas that slow down progress, but even there it happens from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by maximus
              was it a gaffe or a deliberate snub to Iran / Islamic countries? was Rushdie worthy of a knighthood anyway?

Also, as we are now being threatened by the Pakistani government, should we still be sending aid to that nation?
              No; doesn't matter; definitely.

No.

Democracy is not itself one choice from a political spectrum, it is a sine qua non. We should give aid to people who need it, without checking whether they might personally be wrong-headed; but do it through any given government only if it is at least remotely trying to be an open society.

For example, I would have no qualms about giving urgently-needed aid to the people of Darfur; and protecting our aid convoys with whatever level of force it might take. That would not make us agressors IMO.
              Last edited by Euro-commuter; 18 June 2007, 21:25.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapico
                If I recall Channel 4 News this evening, the Pakistan Govt was hinting that suicide bombings might be justified in response to the great offence caused to all Muslims across the world by the awarding of a knighthood.

So, let me get this right.

Suicide bombing, which is an indiscriminate and horrific method of the mass killing of completely innocent people, (and we only have to think of the number of innocent Shia and Sunni Muslims killed in Iraq) is a justifiable response to a sense of insult and victimisation felt towards your own brand of religion?

If I also recall rightly, the book, The Satanic Verses, was also pretty 'blasphemous' towards Christianity, though we don't see hoards of Christians flocking to B&Q to by lengths 6"x6" wooden posts and a bag of 9" nails. Probably because Christians have already had their loopy phase with Witchfinder Generals and Inquisitions in the middle ages.
                Yes; and after that our civilisation went on to build democracy, open societies, notions of personal liberty and individual rights, and the whole idea that tyranny is wrong.

That is the greatest advance of humanity ever.It wasn't easily built, and may never be built again, so we should not let it die easily.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

HTH

Comment

I see those fun-loving muslims had their full-time effigy burners out in force again

Comment

Of course he deserves a knighthood. Beefy Botham never wrote books as good as him and he got one, so why not!

And another thing. I notice Pakistan never threatened to blow up Sir Beefy for his knighthood after he said Pakistan was only fit for sending your mother-in-law to! Yet again, one rule for one, another rule for the other from the maniac muslims.

Comment

Working...
                      X