• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beer and mussels!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Of course it does
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
      I've never been there, but I remember Fleetwood talking about Avenue Louise (I think). Might not be SA's kind of thing though.
      Avenue Louise and Toison D'or are quite nice areas with some good bars and restaraunts (Fleeties fave bar is up there), but I cant see Sal exploring too far in 4 days. There is enough for a long weekend in the centre.

Forgot. There is not a lot to do on a Sunday as most places are closed.
      I think the antiques markets of the petit Sablon area are open so that is worth a mooch around, but don't expect too many bargains (or decent antiques for that matter).

Have a drink in the bars in the Grand Place. There is one somewhere that has coffins for tables and serves beer in skulls (never found it, directions anyone).
      The alley ways just off hold the famous sea food restaraunts, though many are a bit touristy for my liking. St Catherine is similar and on one of the side streets there is an all you can eat ribs place (road from St Catherine to Rue Ansbach) though I cant recall its name.
      I liked St Gery. Start in the Mappa Mundi and drink your way through the menu. There are a couple of nice Thai restaraunts here too.
      The Corbeau just round the corner serves beer by the yard (cant remember what the glass was called), but gets rowdy later on, Sal might like that.

There is a sister statue to the manequin called the Janequin which I think is a much nicer statue and just across the alley from her is the "Delerium Cafe". It is downstairs in the cellar and boasts some 3000 beers in its list (plan for a long day).

A weekend in Brussels should not be spoiled by spending it in an Irish theme pub.

I will post anything else I remember.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

There is a rum bar just off of Grand Place - can't think of the name of it but it's like a jungle inside and outside so it's not too hard to miss.

I got absolutely hammered in there.

Oh, and there's a cuban bar near there as well - tiny little place but pretty cool all the same.
        Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
          There is a rum bar just off of Grand Place - can't think of the name of it but it's like a jungle inside and outside so it's not too hard to miss.

I got absolutely hammered in there.

Oh, and there's a cuban bar near there as well - tiny little place but pretty cool all the same.
          Havana off Rue Haute (Marolles area below the Palais de Justice) is a good late night venue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            Avenue Louise and Toison D'or are quite nice areas with some good bars and restaraunts (Fleeties fave bar is up there), but I cant see Sal exploring too far in 4 days. There is enough for a long weekend in the centre.

Forgot. There is not a lot to do on a Sunday as most places are closed.
            I think the antiques markets of the petit Sablon area are open so that is worth a mooch around, but don't expect too many bargains (or decent antiques for that matter).

Have a drink in the bars in the Grand Place. There is one somewhere that has coffins for tables and serves beer in skulls (never found it, directions anyone).
            The alley ways just off hold the famous sea food restaraunts, though many are a bit touristy for my liking. St Catherine is similar and on one of the side streets there is an all you can eat ribs place (road from St Catherine to Rue Ansbach) though I cant recall its name.
            I liked St Gery. Start in the Mappa Mundi and drink your way through the menu. There are a couple of nice Thai restaraunts here too.
            The Corbeau just round the corner serves beer by the yard (cant remember what the glass was called), but gets rowdy later on, Sal might like that.

There is a sister statue to the manequin called the Janequin which I think is a much nicer statue and just across the alley from her is the "Delerium Cafe". It is downstairs in the cellar and boasts some 3000 beers in its list (plan for a long day).

A weekend in Brussels should not be spoiled by spending it in an Irish theme pub.

I will post anything else I remember.
            Sundays the Marolles just below the Petit Sablon have the bric-a-brac/flea market and down near Rue Blaes (big flea market 5 mins from Sablon) there are some great, alebit busy, cafes with a very 'local' clientele on a Sunday morning. Some still speak a really weird dutch/french/swearing dialect.

Avoid Midi market on a sunday unless you want to buy cheap veg or a knock-off pushbike.

The museums are all open on a Sunday but no shops. All touristy things are shut on a Monday.

Top of Louise/Ave De Waterloo (petit ring) very good shopping area if you have loadsamoney.

Avoid Rue de Bouchers (near grand place) for restaurants except Chez Victoire, Aux Armes de Bruxelles and maybe Chez Leon.

As LG says Louise v good. If you get the 94:93 tram and get of at Bailli stop there are loads of good restaurants/bars around Baili/Chatelain area - bit of trendier bruxelloise area (it ain't far, I used to live there and walk into work near the centre.)

Comment

Too be honest I'm always quite surprised when people recommend Ave' Louise, or thereabouts, whether for bars, shopping or anything else. Maybe it's an expat thing?

My two cents, apart from the various places which have already been suggested, is that if you go out for an evening, choose a particular area and stay there. Sure there's the metro, buses etc, but Brussels is very much a city in parts. It's certainly not like London where you can just head for the centre and wander about and find a place here or there, or after a few beers wander off in 'that direction' and hope to find something. As Rantor mentioned, things sometimes change very quickly.

The second of my two cents (again someone else’s suggestion) would actually be a trip to Antwerp, circa 45min, which I still find better for many of those things people might go away for a weekend for, i.e. food, drink, shopping, culture...and the railway station which was alone worth the trip according to a colleague at work.

Comment

except Chez Victoire
                That's the place I went to.

Lovely food...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Yes, wierd place. From memory (1988). Stand in Grand Place so that you are facing the huge bar at the bottom (this is the one that used to have the stuffed horse in it).

On the right is an alley (actually a number). It's about halfway down. Go down this alley. On the right after about 100 yards is a cellar bar. That's the bar.

Yep, tables are upturned coffins, drink out of skulls. Place was all decorated in basically black and red also lit primarily by ultra violet. Well weird and probably not the most ideal place for the clinically depressed though.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
                    If I've been drinking all day, chance are I'll be tucked up in bed every night at about 10
                    And if you're not, you might as well go back to the hotel !

Comment

Working...
                    X