• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

fascist united states

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that article is kind of on the extreme lefty and paranoid side of the fence but one thing I did agree with is the erosion of freedoms that happens in the US, and also here under the guise of 'fighting terror'. All very well on the surface, but terror attacks actually don't worry me all that much when you put it into the context of things that are likely to kill you in modern society.

The argument that if you do nothing wrong you've nothing to worry about is fine, but who's to say that at some point in the future the freedoms we lost and survelience we've accepted won't be used by our government against us in a not so morally acceptable way? Especially when that same government is busy making itself exempt from some of the laws it imposes on us.

Just my opinion, but I'm kind of the mind these days that 'that's enough', and actually that maybe it's more than enough.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      there is a camp in Cuba where people can be held indefinitely whether there is evidence against them or not.
      You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs sasguru. Best you leave the tough decisions in life to those who, unlike you, don't sit down to p1ss.
      You stick to your crocheting and your flower arranging and don't let the roughhouse background tactics that must happen to ensure that the ruthless and deluded do not wreak their havoc on the innocents spoil your day. You don't have the stomach to comprehend it clearly.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        I think that article is kind of on the extreme lefty and paranoid side of the fence but one thing I did agree with is the erosion of freedoms that happens in the US, and also here under the guise of 'fighting terror'. All very well on the surface, but terror attacks actually don't worry me all that much when you put it into the context of things that are likely to kill you in modern society.

The argument that if you do nothing wrong you've nothing to worry about is fine, but who's to say that at some point in the future the freedoms we lost and survelience we've accepted won't be used by our government against us in a not so morally acceptable way? Especially when that same government is busy making itself exempt from some of the laws it imposes on us.

Just my opinion, but I'm kind of the mind these days that 'that's enough', and actually that maybe it's more than enough.
        Quite. Equating Al Qaeda (does it actually exist as an organised network?) as a threat to our existence on a par with Hitler or cold-war Russia is clearly a ploy for politicians to do what they they are made for: increase their power.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
          You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs sasguru. Best you leave the tough decisions in life to those who, unlike you, don't sit down to p1ss.
          You stick to your crocheting and your flower arranging and don't let the roughhouse background tactics that must happen to ensure that the ruthless and deluded do not wreak their havoc on the innocents spoil your day. You don't have the stomach to comprehend it clearly.
          Yep, my vision of a utopian society has always been a police state, screw this democracy and civil libirties nonsense, what good has it ever done us!!!
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
            What if we'd rather have eggs than omelettes?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
              What if we'd rather have eggs than omelettes?
              Then you get more exploding tube trains and buses.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                Yep, my vision of a utopian society has always been a police state, screw this democracy and civil libirties nonsense, what good has it ever done us!!!
                That is why I can't quite understand why blair is so hated on here.

With NL's record in chipping away at the rights of the individual and extending the powers of the executive, he seems to be ideal for the "something needs to be done about it" mob on here. Maybe he is just too subtle for some of em.

Comment

You have to excuse SB, lads. He's not terribly bright. Not officer material, you see.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    You have to excuse SB, lads. He's not terribly bright. Not officer material, you see.
                    Surely that should be:

You have to excuse SB, lads. He's not terribly bright. Officer material, you see.
                    HTH

Comment

excuse sasguru and the rest, because you disagree with them you are as thick as pig excrement.

Comment

Working...
                      X