• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why you're all rubbish.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan
    I've been on a few projects where we have always been on time but the requirements from the customer change during the course so the original estimate is no longer relevant.
    This happens so often that I've actually found myself slowing right down on my current project because I know the customer is going to change his requirements as we go along. I don't want to waste a load of time getting the original spec perfected when they're sure to change it anyway. That's a pretty bad thing to admit, I know, but it comes from much previous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by The Farmer
      Whether we are slaves to our bosses, slaves to our government, or slaves to society, the fact remains that we are all slaves.

Hear hear.

We are all proles.

Churchill, plenty on the go.

I shall send a couple as requested (female of course)
      Good lad!

Comment

I tend to get stuff done so quick the customer doesn't have time to change their mind.

They do anyways, and so I do it again.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          I tend to get stuff done so quick the customer doesn't have time to change their mind.

They do anyways, and so I do it again.
          Soft, what smell from yonder hinterland goes?

'tis Threaded with his mighty wheelbarrow of bulltulip!

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
            The article presupposes that the "IT Workers" can control whether the project is on time or not. I've been on a few projects where we have always been on time but the requirements from the customer change during the course so the original estimate is no longer relevant.
            That's true.

And as for the original survey question, if you asked me whether I'd suffer if my project came in late, I'd have to say no; but that doesn't mean that I'm feckless and irresponsible, and that the project will indeed be late because I have no incentive to bring it in on time. I would be in trouble if my work were late, but not if the whole project were. My work is not the whole project.

So blame it on the managers, or on the consultancies. Don't blame it on the IT knowledge workers.
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              Soft, what smell from yonder hinterland goes?

'tis Threaded with his mighty wheelbarrow of bulltulip!
              I've a story on the front page of slashdot at the moment too!

threaded in "you're all just so jealous it make me to larf" mode

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                I've a story on the front page of slashdot at the moment too!

threaded in "you're all just so jealous it make me to larf" mode
                Just been to have a read and it is there. Can't admit to understanding it all though. You lost me at "auto-vectorization"...

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  Just been to have a read and it is there. Can't admit to understanding it all though. You lost me at "auto-vectorization"...

Basically means you get to use the screaming sindy instruction set without having to specifically code to use them, the compiler is clever enough to work that out for itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X