• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why you're all rubbish.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you're all rubbish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6720547.stm

How many agree? Never seen a IT proiject come in on time personally. Maybe the schedule needs more padding.

The article presupposes that the "IT Workers" can control whether the project is on time or not. I've been on a few projects where we have always been on time but the requirements from the customer change during the course so the original estimate is no longer relevant.
    All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

I feel compelled to point out that bringing a major IT project to completion within the allocated time and budget is considerably more complex than driving a big rig from Southampton to Bristol within 5 hours.

Comment

Define 'on time' and 'within budget'? The skilled PM always ensures both criteria are stretched to fit what's been delivered or jumps ship early.

They don't teach that on the Prince 2 course!
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
          I feel compelled to point out that bringing a major IT project to completion within the allocated time and budget is considerably more complex than driving a big rig from Southampton to Bristol within 5 hours.
          Duly noted. However you'll also find that all my projects (warehouse design etc) have been on time. Budgets not an issue as it works on cost plus basis upto agreed limits.

Comment

It's not just us! Most people are bad at their jobs. Some can't be bothered because they don't think they are paid enough, some are just plain incompetent, some are completely uninterested in what they do, etc etc. Most managers can't manage or motivate their staff and it spreads downwards. It's the norm in all industries, we hear complaints about the ones we are most familar with all the time on this forum. Recruitment agents and HR depts being the obvious example, followed by estate agents, the staff in PC world etc etc. Everyone is rubbish, it's not news! Just look around!

Comment

I hear that Polish immigrants are somewhat motivated. Maybe we should give them jobs in IT to boost the success rate of projects

Comment

Interesting point there about most people being rubbish.

I certainly think there is an element of truth there.

I mean, look around at the people you meet, you work with, you know.

Is everyone happy-clappy 100% motivated for success and doing a good job ?

I'll think you'll find that the majority feel underpaid, disenfranchised, exploited and fed up. They turn up, do their bit, and feck off, because it pays the bills. Because there is no other option. Because companies want it on the cheap, and quality is not important anymore.

So you hire cheap workers, to do cheap work (dressed in ITIL and British Standards to keep the client happy), and no one really gives a monkeys if it succeeds or not, because it's all bllx anyway.

I think most workers have cottoned on to the fact that they ain't gonna live in "The Big House, With The Big Car(s), earning squillions", so what's the point ?

Sure, the platitudes might be there, in that they have the same opportunity as Mr Big, when infact that's the biggest lie of all, spread to try and keep the workers hopeful of a future change in their fortunes.

Whether we are slaves to our bosses, slaves to our government, or slaves to society, the fact remains that we are all slaves.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Whether we are slaves to our bosses, slaves to our government, or slaves to society, the fact remains that we are all slaves.[/QUOTE]

Hear hear.

We are all proles.

Churchill, plenty on the go.

I shall send a couple as requested (female of course)

Comment

I notice that Sweden are at the top of the list. Could this be to do with the natural tendency for Scandanavians to be pessimistic about the future and therefore to set much larger margins for time, cost etc ?

The Spanish (naturally optimistic people for whom the project will eventually be finished, maybe someday) are at the bottom.
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X