• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service

Hi

I've just started a new contract and have received a jury service
    summons in the same week - has starting a contract ever been a legitimate reason for exemption from jury service?

rgds
    Paul

No.

You only get to claim a paltry amount in loss of earnings too.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

How much notice have they given you? Enough to get your foot in the door at the client first?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Yeah, I'm up for this next week and could actually do without the hassle (and loss of income).

I remember reading a post on here where someone said they ignored the letter and nothing ever came of it.

If it is not convenient, you can defer it - just need to write them a letter with a (valid) reason specifying 'convenient' dates - I was originally up for this in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
          Yeah, I'm up for this next week and could actually do without the hassle (and loss of income).

I remember reading a post on here where someone said they ignored the letter and nothing ever came of it.

If it is not convenient, you can defer it - just need to write them a letter with a (valid) reason specifying 'convenient' dates - I was originally up for this in January.
          Yeah, you can quite easily defer once, but you will have to attend when they send through another date. The amount you can claim back is something like £200 max a week i think.

Comment

Just turn up for Jury service and say you are not fit to serve as you know the defendant from a friend of a friend and you would not be impartial.

Comment

You can say you're racist against [insert colour here] people and hence do not believe you can be an impartial contestant on the game show.

Comment

That won't work, you'll just be stuck in the waiting room for the remainder of your fortnight. There's every chance you'll never get to see a trial and just be stuck in that waiting room the whole time. Have a look at the hmcourts website, they give you information on how to get a deferral (most of which are usually granted).

Remember you are summoned to do Jury Service - it's as serious as if you were being summoned as a witness or to stand trial, only you're on the right side of the court
                Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

I've posted on here before re jury service, I received a summons a few years ago. As it wasn't delivered by recorded or registered mail (ie no proof of receipt) it went straight in the bin and that was that.

Comment

Yes but if you are director of your Ltd Co and your company cannot operate without you, surely that will stand as a strong reason to get out of Jury service. At least until that time when you no longer have the director level responsibilities.

Comment

Working...
                    X