• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doctors read my mind

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctors read my mind

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1875521.ece

Charging patients for the most convenient appointments of the day is one of my policies.

There are many times when I would gladly have paid for a more convenient appointment in order to minimise loss of earnings, but the option didn't exist.

By definition not everyone can have the most convenient appointment times (or be operated on by the most experienced surgeon.) Auctioning off these premium services to the highest bidder is a sensible way of integrating private and public funding. It doesn't contradict NHS equality ethos since these services are then defined as ones (like "to expensive" cancer drugs) that fall outside the definition of what the NHS provides. At the same time, because the person is only paying for the premium aspect of the service, and not the basic components, they're not paying for their treatment twice, as happens when higher-rate tax payers pay for private treatment.

Personally, I think the fact that I contribute to this country should, in itself, allow me greater flexibility than the work-dodgers in whatever medical treatment I need. Without the need to pay yet another stealth tax.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
      Personally, I think the fact that I contribute to this country should, in itself, allow me greater flexibility than the work-dodgers in whatever medical treatment I need. Without the need to pay yet another stealth tax.
      Agreed! You are already paying extra, because you pay taxes!
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Medicentre costs £59 for half an hour, and it's open Saturday and Sunday.

It gets no state subsidy (AFAIK), so how can GPs on the NHS expect to charge £20?!!

I'll have my taxes back and pay £59 when I need it.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
          Medicentre costs £59 for half an hour, and it's open Saturday and Sunday.

It gets no state subsidy (AFAIK), so how can GPs on the NHS expect to charge £20?!!

I'll have my taxes back and pay £59 when I need it.
          Where's your social conscience?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            Where's your social conscience?
            I think it went when I saw loud, kebab eating slappers mit kindern having free accomodation.

I wondered where 40% (rising by 20% a year) of my council tax was going.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
              I think it went when I saw loud, kebab eating slappers mit kindern having free accomodation.

Another Guardian journalist vents his rage....

Comment

PATIENTS should be charged £20 for the convenience of seeing their GP for a 10-minute appointment in the evening or on a Saturday morning, according to doctors’ leaders.
                If you are so ill that you need a doctor in the evening or Saturday, a home visit, then you wont mind paying. If you don't work - there's no reason why you can't get a daytime appointment.

Two of my best friends are doctors in Northern towns with high ethnic populations. There is a growing number of a particular ethnic group which requires the man of the house to be present when his wife or children are examined. These men usually work very long hours during the day and can't see any reason why the GP out-of-hours service shouldn't fit around their shifts, rather than the other way around. They think nothing of ringing the on-call service to get a GP out to deal with their child's influenza at 11pm. This is a massive strain on their out-of-hours service and means genuine people who need urgent medical care (but can't get to an A&E unit) are waiting for hours.

Incidently, if you call a vet out at that time to your pet, it's around a £50 call out charge, iirc?
                Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD

Well said that man!!!!!

Comment

Seeing as we all pay so much in taxes anyway, perhaps they should waive the £20 fee for those inside IR35.

Comment

Working...
                    X