• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miss marple
    I too have stuck ticker tape back together again.
    I remember PDP 11s and Apricots.
    Never did the punch card bits though.
    Cut my serious programming teeth on Coral66 - now that has to be dead and gone surely?

I have a fond nostalgic aural memory of the sound of Decwriter III printers zipping their way through reams and reams of computer paper.

Anyone else remember Wordstar - one of the first true Word Processors which involved all sorts of control characters to do the fancy bits such as Bold?
    Coral - we used that on military systems in GEC. Plus ADA. Don't know what happened to either of them, but I suspect zeity might.

I remember Wordstar. I used it in the late eighties/early nineties, and AmiPro and WordPerfect, before MS Word for Windows took over the world.

Anyone ever used Uniplex?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      I haven't seen an Apple computer for 10 years, but they seem to be doing OK somewhere, aren't they?

Anyone remember Apricot computers?

Or any other fruits?
      My friend had an apricot - from what I remember it was like an old 286/386 running what looked like an amiga workbench style OS
      Last edited by fzbucks; 28 May 2007, 08:38.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Ah.... WordStar... it seemed such an improvement on the line editor I used on the General Automation mini... my first introduction to the pc... what joy.

Control-k b, control K k, control k Y...

And stuff.

I could make it fly on the amstrad having setup all the function keys.

Then again, "@1/5,p" seems to be engraved on my memory (lists the first 5 lines of the file you've just opened in the GA editor).
        Did anyone else ever use Wordwise, another tag-based text editor which came as a chip for the BBC micro?

Comment

Working...
        X