• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen an Apple computer for 10 years, but they seem to be doing OK somewhere, aren't they?

Anyone remember Apricot computers?

Or any other fruits?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      My eyes haven't recovered from the CGA monitor on the 1512...
      never touched an Amstrad, they were difficult to upgrade, having said that my friend did get a harddrive card, the sort that would fit into an 8bit slot, as soon as I could I binned my Ferranti and aquired an IBM AT, which you could upgrade, and even replace the motherboard.....
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        I haven't seen an Apple computer for 10 years, but they seem to be doing OK somewhere, aren't they?

Anyone remember Apricot computers?

Or any other fruits?
        how about Tulip....I know its not a fruit but hey....still weired.
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

how about 'sketch'

http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retroc...g/ibm/stretch/
          SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

or...how about to Apollo guidence computer......

http://rocinante.colorado.edu/~wilms...rs/apollo.html
            SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
              Does anyone rember the 'Gem' desktop, it sat on top of Dos....
              So did Windows in those days.

Yes I remember it, I may still have the disks. It was prettier than Windows, and some software (e.g. Ventura DTP) ran only on it and not on Windows; but ultimately Gem was a dead end because it was only trying to be an interface, whereas Windows was trying to be an OS. It took it 15 years but it did get there.
              Last edited by Euro-commuter; 25 May 2007, 11:52.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                So did Windows in those days.

Yes I remember it, I may still have the disks. It was prettier than Windows, and some software (e.g. Ventura DTP) ran only on it and not on Windows; but ultimately Gem was a dead end because it was only trying to be an interface, whereas Windows was trying to be an OS. It took it 15 years but it did get there.
                Eventually Ventura did run under Windows...

Comment

Anyone remember Prime minis, and their operating system Primos? I worked at Prime R&D for several years, measuring disk driver performance among other things. I chucked out a huge stack of PE-Ts and PE-TIs last year - Ex Primates will probably know what those were.

I went for an interview about five years ago, and the guy said they had their last Prime in the basement, decommissioned and waiting to be taken away for scrap - It was the final model Prime ever released, for God knows how much, and less powerful than one of today's high-end PCs costing under a grand.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I remember Primes. And various PDP 11s.

Anyone ever use a GEC 4000 machine?

Comment

I too have stuck ticker tape back together again.
                      I remember PDP 11s and Apricots.
                      Never did the punch card bits though.
                      Cut my serious programming teeth on Coral66 - now that has to be dead and gone surely?

I have a fond nostalgic aural memory of the sound of Decwriter III printers zipping their way through reams and reams of computer paper.

Anyone else remember Wordstar - one of the first true Word Processors which involved all sorts of control characters to do the fancy bits such as Bold?

Comment

Working...
                      X