• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diving in Cozumel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diving in Cozumel

I know there are a number of scuba fans amongst our esteemed congregation, so can anyone recommend a club in Cozumel to dive with (or avoid)?

Cheers

PL

Originally posted by Pondlife
    I know there are a number of scuba fans amongst our esteemed congregation, so can anyone recommend a club in Cozumel to dive with (or avoid)?

Cheers

PL
    Pondlife.

Not been there since 96 but the quality of the dive outfits was very variable. I prob have something in a logbook somewhere regarding the name of one particular mob I would avoid.

I was backpacking so had to hire all gear (hate doing that!) and went on a very nice dive (Palancar Gardens rings a bell.) 15 minutes into the dive the second stage falls apart at 30m leaving me with the mouthpiece in my gob - not good. After sorting that out, the dive was good but I was a bit twitchy.

On the surface, in a current, no boat to be seen. Eventually spotted it miles away as we drifted way away. Eventually got picked up by another boat that nearly sunk with all the extra divers in it. Our boat's fuel pump had died.

I changed dive operator after that and it was fine albeit not as memorable!

I would be surprised if this sort of thing is still typical as it is mostly US divrers there and they normally like things to run smoothly.

The island is nothing special - very flat with a single road if memory serves me correctly.

HTH

Comment

Is there not a PADI centre out there?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
        Is there not a PADI centre out there?
        Dozens and dozens - sometimes that can be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
          Dozens and dozens - sometimes that can be the problem.

Aye, PADI website just lists courses available from each one but was hoping for a recommendation.

Edit: or as per Rantor's post, ones to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
            Aye, PADI website just lists courses available from each one but was hoping for a recommendation.

Edit: or as per Rantor's post, ones to avoid.
            I'll check my logbook tonight but there are good discussion groups on divernet.com - maybe some more up to date info.

You ever dived in either Croatia or Sardinia?

Comment

You might be better off asking in a more relevant forum - can I suggest;

Yorkie Divers
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
              X