• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road pricing bill before Commons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    No-one has produced a single argument against the fairest way to price - per journey, taking into account distance. The more you drive the more you pay, just like anything else in life. Impeccably conservative, I'd have thought.
    I think the fuel duty has that one covered already.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      I think the fuel duty has that one covered already.
      But that's point, it doesn't or not enough to deter the masses. When it's really expensive only us well-to-do types will be able to use the roads.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        But that's point, it doesn't or not enough to deter the masses. When it's really expensive only us well-to-do types will be able to use the roads.
        I see your angle. Aren't you a Londoner though? Out of the game, so to speak?

Comment

"The money to fix that has to come from somewhere, and fuel and VED don't come close to covering it, and never has, and nor do all the other taxes that contribute at the moment."

Utter rubbish. It is widely known that only a small percentage of the £60,000,000,000 raised by the current mototing taxes actually gets spent on the roads. Around 8 Billion isn't it? 13%
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

How to reduce the number of cars on the road in 3 easy steps that most people will agree with.

1. Enforce a retest off EVERY driver on a regular basis (suggest every 5 years), including written test and full medical. This must apply to foreign drivers also. This will reduce congestion, reduce accidents and raise standards on the roads. Crap drivers will be removed. Everyones a winner.

2. Raise the age of driving to 18 (then later 21) and stop the over 80's from driving.

3. Enforce a quota (lottery) for driver permits. Permit lasts for 1 yr and is not transerable. Every year reduce the number of permits by 5%. This is fair way to force people off the road rather than having the poor taxed off the road.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              How to reduce the number of cars on the road in 3 easy steps that most people will agree with.

1. Enforce a retest off EVERY driver on a regular basis (suggest every 5 years), including written test and full medical. This must apply to foreign drivers also. This will reduce congestion, reduce accidents and raise standards on the roads. Crap drivers will be removed. Everyones a winner.

2. Raise the age of driving to 18 (then later 21) and stop the over 80's from driving.

3. Enforce a quota (lottery) for driver permits. Permit lasts for 1 yr and is not transerable. Every year reduce the number of permits by 5%. This is fair way to force people off the road rather than having the poor taxed off the road.
              I don't think having a lottery for driving permits would be fair - does that mean every other year we could be forced to only accept contracts based on if it is commutable by public transport?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                Eh??? So when they release the balls and its not you that wins the road permit lottery what happens? Game over? Sorry Mr Gingerjedi you will have to take one of the crappy permie jobs in your dormitory town or go on the rock 'n' roll.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by fzbucks
                  I don't think having a lottery for driving permits would be fair - does that mean every other year we could be forced to only accept contracts based on if it is commutable by public transport?
                  Hopefully they'd be transferable, so you could buy one. You'd just have to put aside a pot of money. Call it a Road Fund or something.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Simple solution. Ban ALL private cars, except for essential services (medical staff, police, civil servants, MP's, Labour voters).

Sorted.

Comment

Good Soviet policies.

Comment

Working...
                      X