• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Kitchen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubster
    Don't get me started on this. My missus is a nightmare (there's too much dust, they've marked the wall, etc, etc, blah, blah). I've now banned her from the house until it is complete.

We were originally told we would only need to move out for a couple of days, but I reckon it will be a total of three weeks in the end. We're 'living' in our holiday mobile home 40 miles away, which is interesting as she has to drive the kids to school every morning. I'm looking forward to getting this damned thing finished now....

You have my sympathies. I don't know why builders say 'a couple of days', it gets them in trouble later. Which kitchen are you putting in ? The Mrs wants oak, Howden's have a new oak one but I think I pref the bog standard one. Howden's are on a par with Magnet quality wise, they have thicker carcasses but it doesnt make much difference in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead
      My dad runs a company that makes fitted kitchens and we've recently had one put in our new house. Even with the family discount its come in at around ~15k (including appliances) but then it is walnut, fully fitted, granite throughout including the utility room

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a spark, and make sure you get a cert for the wiring. You can no longer DIY kitchen electrics without getting it certified.
      Any idea how much your granite work surfaces cost per metre ( assuming its 600mm wide ) ? Just weighing it up now.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead
        Don't forget to factor in the cost of a spark, and make sure you get a cert for the wiring. You can no longer DIY kitchen electrics without getting it certified.
        You can do your own electrics but if you want to be correct you would have to pay the council to certify your installation.

I don't bother with this as I have been doing electrical work for years without mishap & refuse to pay effectivly a tax to have someone rubber stamp my work.

Also who would know what has been done during your occupancy of the building?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
          You have my sympathies. I don't know why builders say 'a couple of days', it gets them in trouble later. Which kitchen are you putting in ? The Mrs wants oak, Howden's have a new oak one but I think I pref the bog standard one. Howden's are on a par with Magnet quality wise, they have thicker carcasses but it doesnt make much difference in practice.
          We're having this one... http://www.howdens.com/kitchens/clas...ction/malvern/

Latest development, we ordered a double GAS oven but they delivered an electric version. They're now saying they can't get hold of the gas version. More delays...more stress...more earache tonight when I tell 'er in doors...
          Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

We are having one put in at the moment. Ours needs a bit of building work to start with - but the units, the granite and the appliances are going to cost 10k dead on. The breakdown is £3k for granite, £1900 for the cooker (stoves range), hood, splashback, integrated dishwasher and integrated little fridge. and £450 for the taps. The cupboards make up the rest of the £10k. Building work is expected to be about £3k and about the same to fit the kitchen. So all told a minimum of £16k. Should look nice I'm told!

to change the subject a little! Has anybody had one of those printed concrete drives put in? Are they any good. I have been quoted £3k for one. What are they like long term?
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

One of the houses in the village has a heated drive and footpaths to the front and back doors!
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                We are having one put in at the moment. Ours needs a bit of building work to start with - but the units, the granite and the appliances are going to cost 10k dead on. The breakdown is £3k for granite, £1900 for the cooker (stoves range), hood, splashback, integrated dishwasher and integrated little fridge. and £450 for the taps. The cupboards make up the rest of the £10k. Building work is expected to be about £3k and about the same to fit the kitchen. So all told a minimum of £16k. Should look nice I'm told!

to change the subject a little! Has anybody had one of those printed concrete drives put in? Are they any good. I have been quoted £3k for one. What are they like long term?
                Have a look at http://www.pavingexpert.com/.

Long term is the issue ! They haven't been around long enough to know if they will still look good in a few years time and neat repairs will be difficult. The consensus among my building contacts was to avoid them. I just plumped for tarmac with red block paving edging on a property I'm selling on, cheapest option, will last and looks OK. I'd still go for block paving if it was a property I was going to stay in but I don't think its trendy anymore.

Comment

Tony, for the drive, I was thinking to have the printed one but my father-in-law persuaded me to get a block paved one because he argued that with the printed one the water cannot drain like it can between the paving blocks.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
                    We're having this one... http://www.howdens.com/kitchens/clas...ction/malvern/

Latest development, we ordered a double GAS oven but they delivered an electric version. They're now saying they can't get hold of the gas version. More delays...more stress...more earache tonight when I tell 'er in doors...
                    I'm thinking we'll go Tewkesbury, I like the plain cream ( and cheaper ) ones but it's not my choice !!! Having the debate on ovens also, I'm saying what's wrong with the one we've got, she wants the double, I asked her when she'll use two, etc etc

Can you not get the oven elsewhere ?

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                      You can do your own electrics but if you want to be correct you would have to pay the council to certify your installation.

I don't bother with this as I have been doing electrical work for years without mishap & refuse to pay effectivly a tax to have someone rubber stamp my work.

Also who would know what has been done during your occupancy of the building?
                      It's when you sell on and have to fill in the conveyancing forms deatiling work you've done, you'd have to tell a porkie or get it sorted. You could also probably get round it by buying a building regs indemnity on selling.

Comment

Working...
                      X