• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Visual Studio 2005. .NET, RANT RANT RANT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as the VS problems,
    I haven't tried installing or using it on Vista yet, so I'm not really sure. But I have never really had a problem with it, the install's and service packs do take time and I know bit of a pain to get up and running. I also remember when I first opened it up and was daunted that everything had changed, but for me the transition was fairly painless, as I am developer that has worked in more IDE, and Languages than I care to remember. But I can say that I do love working in .NET, I must it is one of the better things MS has done. SQL 2005, still needs to working on, but I am still impressed with it.
    As far as MS operating systems go, I only start taking them seriously around service pack 2. Vista has done nothing to temp thus far.
    I downloaded the Vista Skins for XP works like a dream.
    threenine.co.uk
    Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Yeh, I turned off the scheduled virus scans (including defender) but still seems a lot of hard disc bashing. Might try that utility. Cheers.

As for Vista, don't have much choice. Most PCs now sold have Vista by default and we are selling a product. Much of the week so far on new prog. and have managed to create one MDI thing that opens a form to do nowt. Still not sure to go vb or c#.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Probably disk goes into sleep and then has to awake which is loud and slow, go to Power settings and make disk never put into sleep unless you are on battery power.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          As for Vista, don't have much choice. Most PCs now sold have Vista by default and we are selling a product. Much of the week so far on new prog. and have managed to create one MDI thing that opens a form to do nowt. Still not sure to go vb or c#.
          Seriously there isn't much difference.Once you learn the framework, you know both languages anyway. Seriuosly I flit between the both of them, and I really don't see a difference anymore, I find myself adding semi colons at the end of Vb.Net statements from time to time. I seem to also have taken to the habit of surrounding my VB.NET if statments in brackets,
          i.e If(Somecondition = true) then
          Domesthing
          end if

for some reason.

There are a number of syntactical differences , but honestly after working in either for a couple of months you'll know both.

I can recommend a good book that I couldn't livew without the first couple of weeks

C# VB.net conversion pocker reference

I also recommend Visual basic 2005
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Working...
          X