• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Visual Studio 2005. .NET, RANT RANT RANT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Visual Studio 2005. .NET, RANT RANT RANT

Install Visual studio
    Download & install 450 Mb service pack
    Download & install another friggin' 50 Mb service pack for Vista
    Find "automatic conversion" of previous VB6 has 976 errors - decide to start again in C# or VB.Net
    Find every damn thing is different, even reading text files
    Decide might be able to use SQL server for some damn things that are different
    2 hours to install SQL server express option not installed initially
    Does not work - need service pack for Vista
    Download umpteen Mb service pack
    Shortcuts and exe files all mysteriously gone from Visual Studio
    Uninstall SQL server as readme says
    Repair/reninstall Visual Studio
    Gripping saga to be continued

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaagh!

And when will Vista EVER stop continually accessing the hard disc when I ain't f* doing anything???? It must have had 6 months use in 2 weeks

RANT,RANT,RANT
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Yes M$ tools are only as cheap as your time...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Yes M$ tools are only as cheap as your time...

upgrade to xp
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

They fixed it in my copy of Visual Studio 2010 Time Architect Edition.

HTH

threaded.

Comment

GRIPPING saga continued

Repair cannot find necessary file on own f* disc #1, gives "invalid directory"
          Uninstal Visual studio completely
          (probably, after another hour or two when it has finished) Instal Visual Studio
          Deja vu
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Vista? FFS, what do you expect?
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Time to get into J2EE....
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

chill zog, chill. it all works seamlesslessly 'oop 'ere

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  And when will Vista EVER stop continually accessing the hard disc when I ain't f* doing anything???? It must have had 6 months use in 2 weeks RANT,RANT,RANT
                  God yes, that is unbelievably irritating, especially in my case when at the slightest hint of activity my PC starts up a fan that sounds like a 747 revving up for takeoff!

It might help to turn off the stupid Microsoft Indexing service for a start, which I'm sure very few people ever use. The idea is that it crawls through all your files building up search indexes like a miniature Google, so you can find things on your PC quickly and easily.

Also, I disable virus scans except when I tell it to scan. Otherwise that also grinds into life at regular intervals and hammers the bollocks off the hard disk for ages!

There is a very good shareware tool, available from sysinternals.com , that is effectively a super duper process manager, so you can tell exactly what is doing what when the disk starts grinding for no apparent reason.
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 16 May 2007, 22:20.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                    Also, I disable virus scans except when I tell it to scan. Otherwise that also grinds into life at regular intervals and hammers the bollocks off the hard disk for ages!
                    I use Avast for anti virus and it is really good as it does not add load to the processor when it scans. It was free and just generally superb!!!
                    Last edited by cykophysh39; 17 May 2007, 09:17.
                    threenine.co.uk
                    Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Working...
                    X