• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital video camera

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital video camera

Anyone bought one recently that can record onto memory rather than tape/DVD?

I'd like to buy one that's not too expensive (sub-£300), and that you can easily connect to a PC to download movies for burning onto DVD.

Originally posted by TazMaN
    Anyone bought one recently that can record onto memory rather than tape/DVD?

I'd like to buy one that's not too expensive (sub-£300), and that you can easily connect to a PC to download movies for burning onto DVD.
    There's a plethora to choose from. I think most VCs are going down the hard drive route so stick to that type. Make sure it can do stills, has decent optical zoom etc JVC are quite highly rated along with Sony etc. The software that is bundled with the cameras is generally pretty sh!te, you're better off buying or torrenting something like Studio Pinnacle (which I use). The stuff you can do is pretty amazing, but it can be time consuming editting, depends on how professional u want it to look.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
      There's a plethora to choose from. I think most VCs are going down the hard drive route so stick to that type. Make sure it can do stills, has decent optical zoom etc JVC are quite highly rated along with Sony etc. The software that is bundled with the cameras is generally pretty sh!te, you're better off buying or torrenting something like Studio Pinnacle (which I use). The stuff you can do is pretty amazing, but it can be time consuming editting, depends on how professional u want it to look.
      Morgancomputers.com has one for about £110. You can use an SD card. "GB SD high speed card from the net will cost about £15.

I still find the DVD mini disk is better and cheaper, mini DVD disks about 50p on the net or £5 from Dixons.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I just bought an Hitachi Hybrid.

You get a Hard-Drive to record on as well as a DVD Burner - you can record direct onto either or copy from HD to DVD and edit.

You can also take "stills" or select from the HD/DVD to create a still and put it on a SD card.

All this for about £350.

Excellent move.

I also got my Ltd Co to pay for it as well thus avoidind tax
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

A lot of the reviews mention bad quality on movies with a HDD VC, especially in low light.

Did you guys experience this problem?

How do I know if a HDD VC has a good enough picture recording quality?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            A lot of the reviews mention bad quality on movies with a HDD VC, especially in low light.

Did you guys experience this problem?

How do I know if a HDD VC has a good enough picture recording quality?
            In low light conditions?
            (Think "Paris Hilton")

Comment

It's not on the general market yet, but released soon, there are some 'interesting' guys and gals building a new toy called a VeeCAM . I like it.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
              X