• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's up with the perl market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with the perl market?

I've been on the bench for a couple of weeks now, looking for a perl/mysql/postgres contract. Apparently the contract market generally is buzzing; but an agent I spoke to says that perl is an exception because nearly all the requirements are for permanent positions (and he reckons perl is becoming a "legacy" skill). Anyone other perl hackers have any recent experience of this?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Postgres is the biggest crock out there - replaced it with MS SQL server and never looked back.

I'd say Perl is on the way down - they are still fecking about with Perl 6 where as the whole world moved on, IMO, scripting people moved to Python.

Comment

Have you tried the bbc, rubbish rates but still they have plenty of projects with my TV licence money!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
        I've been on the bench for a couple of weeks now, looking for a perl/mysql/postgres contract. Apparently the contract market generally is buzzing; but an agent I spoke to says that perl is an exception because nearly all the requirements are for permanent positions (and he reckons perl is becoming a "legacy" skill). Anyone other perl hackers have any recent experience of this?
        You just can't get the divers
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          You just can't get the divers
          Indeed, don't hold your breath.

Comment

Try .NET.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
              Try .NET.
              But perls are smooth, you wouldn't want a #perl would you?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Postgres is the biggest crock out there - replaced it with MS SQL server and never looked back.
                Really? Thought it was the opposite, have a few mates who really rate Postgres, lots of 'enterprise' features apparently.
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I run Postgres for about 2 years and was deeply disappointed - it is a pile of sh1t that is extremely slow, and worst of all it requires fking vacuum to run regularly otherwise database slows down to crawl - I am not too fussy about speed, but Postgres turned out to be a crock and I used very small database with very few updates, it was practically read only, yet Postgres was getting slower and slower: ffs, it was better to reload database from scratch than to vacuum it.

As soon as I swiched to MS SQL server all problems went way - no wonder it is based on good Sybase code, banks in the city used it a lot, not sure if they still do, but they did and there was good reason for that.

Comment

Real men run DB2 UDB
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X