• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone use investing software (stocks)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use investing software (stocks)?

Been reading around the Motley Fool boards and noticed some references to Sharescope as a popular tool for finding stocks, analysing them and managing your portfolio. Does anyone use anything like this and can you recommend a good one?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I'll sell you my stock network analysis knowledge engine open integration lab software for £15k.

Worth every penny. It'll make you a millionaire in hours, not days!!!
    Last edited by Churchill; 8 May 2007, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
      Been reading around the Motley Fool boards and noticed some references to Sharescope as a popular tool for finding stocks, analysing them and managing your portfolio. Does anyone use anything like this and can you recommend a good one?
      What do you get for the one-off 'membership fee'?

Comment

Actually that sounds quite useful.

I would however recommend subscribing to "quality" Equity research eg Standard & poors or from a reputable Investment bank. Although they tend to be optimistic to get you to buy shares they still have to justify their valuations, and then you can make your own decisions. I'm now investing according to research and it seems to be working well. Before although I made money it was a bit hit and miss. It is also reassuring when the markets are volatile to get some reassurance, buying in those lows when everybody's nervous. Buying in a trough is the way to beat the market, but requires nerve as you see stocks dropping.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Does anyone use anything like this and can you recommend a good one?
          I have recently started using http://www.sharelockholmes.com/
          Good price - £4.40 per month. There are quite a few ready made screening forumlae - with explanations of what they do. You can also build your own.

I was going back and forth between the data it shows and the company annual reports to see whether the data is reliable. So far haven't noticed any errors.

On the negative side - the UI is not very sophisticated and screening is only available for UK stocks.

Another (possibly much more sophisticated) site I have come across recently is - http://www.digitallook.com/ But this one is quite expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
            I'm now investing according to research and it seems to be working well.

You (and other millions of stock market lemmings) crack me up Blaster - you are riding the tsunami wave that gets higher and higher, so it is cooler and cooler: but shore is near and once you hit it all that pretty research won't hold up jack.

If that research was so bloody good they'd keep it to themselves and invest their own money rather than pimp it around for small price or even free - if its not inside info from reliable sources than you are almost certainly being lied to, even if they are saying the truth.

This concludes stock market education lesson 1 from yours one and only ATW.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

You (and other millions of stock market lemmings) crack me up Blaster - you are riding the tsunami wave that gets higher and higher, so it is cooler and cooler: but shore is near and once you hit it all that pretty research won't hold up jack.

If that research was so bloody good they'd keep it to themselves and invest their own money rather than pimp it around for small price or even free - if its not inside info from reliable sources than you are almost certainly being lied to, even if they are saying the truth.

This concludes stock market education lesson 1 from yours one and only ATW.

HTH
              I refer you to my post on the subject... <snake oil>

Comment

Originally posted by kingshuk
                I have recently started using http://www.sharelockholmes.com/
                Good price - £4.40 per month. There are quite a few ready made screening forumlae - with explanations of what they do. You can also build your own.

I was going back and forth between the data it shows and the company annual reports to see whether the data is reliable. So far haven't noticed any errors.

On the negative side - the UI is not very sophisticated and screening is only available for UK stocks.

Another (possibly much more sophisticated) site I have come across recently is - http://www.digitallook.com/ But this one is quite expensive.
                Thanks for that Kingshuk I like the price of the first one although it's a shame that it just uses UK stocks. I guess you get what you pay for!

At the moment I'm only realy interested in practicing analysing annual reports and doing the figures to develop my 'criterea' so a good way of finding stocks to analyse is really all I'm interested in right now. I quite like the value investing strategy so I want to practice it - not with real money though - I have several fantasy trading accounts for my mistake making phase!

£4.40 per month looks about right for what I need at the moment, when I'm ready for the real thing I'll move on to something a bit more sophisticated.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                X