• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who the feck is paying for this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw
    As far as I know, and based on the fact the girl was brought back I think you're British if you're born here.

Actually just found this:
    Under the law in effect from 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth
    If you read this carefully, it doesn't mean she is a British citizen, unless of course either of her parents were British citizens. Were they?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      If you read this carefully, it doesn't mean she is a British citizen, unless of course either of her parents were British citizens. Were they?
      From the radio news, yes she is a British citizen.

Why were we involved? Because its the primary duty of any Government to protect it's citizens.

To extradite someone, you have to persuade a court in the country that the person is resident in that they have committed an offence under the law of both countries involved (the UK/ USA Enron thing is not covered by normal extradition law, but by a separate "anti-terrorism" treaty). The "husband" has committed a number of offences under UK law, but probably not under his own country's laws.
      Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
        From the radio news, yes she is a British citizen.
        The BBC website does not say she is a British citizen. Have you got a link?

Comment

I'm on a BB giving an opinion on something you read in the press and posted. My reaction isn't knee jerk, it's my considered opinion on the information provided - the same info you're reacting too, unusual as yours may be.

She lived here 6 years, I got no idea if her parents were settled or not, but IMO living here for the first six years of her life makes her a British citizen, and I suspect given the fact she lived here for 6 years and the fact that she was actually brought back to the UK would suggest she is legally British too. You're pretty quick to acuse others of being a bit slow so do I have to spell this one out for you, again?

I'll pass on the sheep coment, cause it's not worth it, satisfied that with every post you just look like more and more of a miserable old git, with zero compassion and most probably a lifetime subscription to the daily mail. Oh sorry, you form your own opinions.
          You're making some pretty big assumptions there in forming your opinion.

There is nothing in the original article on the BBC website that says she is a British Citizen.

I don't read the Daily Mail - I have zero interest in how Diana died.

Let's face it, I just don't jump to the same assumptions that you do.

You support Celtic, I think football is a stupid game.

You think you're correct in your assumptions, I think you're an ill educated ******.

See, we're different.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            You're making some pretty big assumptions there in forming your opinion.

There is nothing in the original article on the BBC website that says she is a British Citizen.

I don't read the Daily Mail - I have zero interest in how Diana died.

Let's face it, I just don't jump to the same assumptions that you do.

You support Celtic, I think football is a stupid game.

You think you're correct in your assumptions, I think you're an ill educated ******.

See, we're different.
            You know what, I had a long reply ready and then I thought, "what's the point?"

You're too miserable to get it and I'd just be wasting my time. She may be British, she may even not be, who cares - she's no longer in a bad situation and that brings a wee smile to my face, and seems to make you an angry man.

I know who I'd rather be given the choice.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You know what, I had a long reply ready and then I thought, "what's the point?"

You're too miserable to get it and I'd just be wasting my time. She may be British, she may even not be, who cares - she's no longer in a bad situation and that brings a wee smile to my face, and seems to make you an angry man.

I know who I'd rather be given the choice.
              So tell me, what is the point?

Your argument is based on assumptions, not on facts.

I wish I could afford to save every person in that predicament. The truth is, I can't. The real truth is that the whole country can't. You've bought the emotional drivel are you prepared to back it up with higher taxes?

Comment

I don't see anyone moaning about where the money is coming from to send the 'Cracker-style' police over to sunny Portugal, to help find the abducted British 3-year-old.

Is it 'cause she is white?

Child abuse is child abuse. If you don't like your cash being spent on the wellbeing of British children, then you need more help than an accountant can give you.
                Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero
                  I don't see anyone moaning about where the money is coming from to send the 'Cracker-style' police over to sunny Portugal, to help find the abducted British 3-year-old.

Is it 'cause she is white?

Child abuse is child abuse. If you don't like your cash being spent on the wellbeing of British children, then you need more help than an accountant can give you.
                  It has nothing to do with colour.

I don't know if you have been reading this thread, but the point is whether the child in Bangladesh is British. You seem to know that she is, do you have any links?

Comment

ffs

everytime something like this comes up i knew its brought up because it has links to some ethnic group somewhere in Britian.

"Why should we pay for it?"

I'll tell you why, because they are people like you and me (only if you saw past the skin colour).

Let me guess, you dont give money to non-whites? So comic relief is out the running then.....

Grow up man. Everyone, be it whites, blacks, browns, pinks, greens contributes to this country not just you and i.

Oh and for the record, i'd rather be happy that my taxes be spent on stuff like this helping people rather than lining the pockets of CEO's at missile plants where this UK goverment is paying £16,000 per missile!
                    Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxamus
                      ffs

everytime something like this comes up i knew its brought up because it has links to some ethnic group somewhere in Britian.

"Why should we pay for it?"

I'll tell you why, because they are people like you and me (only if you saw past the skin colour).

Let me guess, you dont give money to non-whites? So comic relief is out the running then.....

Grow up man. Everyone, be it whites, blacks, browns, pinks, greens contributes to this country not just you and i.

Oh and for the record, i'd rather be happy that my taxes be spent on stuff like this helping people rather than lining the pockets of CEO's at missile plants where this UK goverment is paying £16,000 per missile!
                      £16k wouldn't pay for the laser giro.

If she's British, then fine, by all means repatriate. But at least do something effective to stop it happening again!

Btw, how do you feal about Shambo?
                      Hindus have launched a last minute appeal to prevent the slaughter of a sacred bull which has tested positive for tuberculosis.
                      The bull, Shambo, lives in a shrine in Llanpumsaint, Carmarthenshire.

Officials at the Skanda Vale Temple and the Hindu Forum of Britain, say the killing of cows and bulls is against their religious principles.

But the Welsh assembly government said infected animals were slaughtered to "protect both human and animal health".

Shambo tested positive in routine bovine TB screening and was placed in isolation.

Agriculture officials intend to start discussing whether to slaughter the six-year-old British Friesian on 14 May, but the temple is mounting a legal challenge and has begun an online petition to save Shambo.

Ramesh Kallidai of the Hindu Forum of Britain, which represents Hindus in the UK, said the rest of the herd of 35 cows and bulls were "absolutely fine".

"As a responsible organisation, the temple has sought professional veterinary advice to ensure that robust measures are taken to isolate Shambo and minimise the spread of disease.

"Killing Shambo will violate our faith, tradition and desecrate our temple. It goes against all accepted norms of our faith."

Mr Kallidai added they would be calling on the Welsh assembly government to intervene. Skanda Vale Temple, known as the Community of the Many Names of God is a multi-denominational monastic centre, which embraces all religious faiths and includes three Hindu shrines.

It attracts over 90,000 pilgrims every year and Skanda Vale also runs a hospice.

Speaking on behalf of Hindus at the temple, Swami Suryananda said they "understand and appreciate" the position with regards to public health and containing the spread of bovine TB.

"We have been advised that there is provision both within the Animal Health Act 1981 and the more recent TB Order Wales 2006 for permission to treat and vaccinate any animal identified as having TB with the prior consent of the minister for the National Assembly of Wales."

But an assembly government spokesperson said TB was a disease which was transmissible to humans and other mammals.

"We fully understand that this can be distressing for the owners, but these measures are in place to protect public health and animal health and prevent the further spread of the disease.

"An animal kept by the Community of the Many Names of God has tested positive, and the case is being dealt with in the usual way. Every effort will be made to deal with this case as sensitively as possible."
                      Last edited by Churchill; 9 May 2007, 16:06.

Comment

Working...
                      X