• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who the feck is paying for this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill
    Why are we paying our government to be the world's social workers?
    I thought we rescued a British born child, who lived here for 6 years according to that report. You might have a point if it was just some random child with no connection to Britain, but clearly this isn't the case in this example.

What should we have done Churchill when this was reported?
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
      I thought we rescued a British born child, who lived here for 6 years according to that report. You might have a point if it was just some random child with no connection to Britain, but clearly this isn't the case in this example.

What should we have done Churchill when this was reported?
      We should've made arrests!

Comment

Now you've lost me.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

What law is being broken? I think here we have the solution. All marriages under the age of 25 should be banned.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Now you've lost me.
            Ok, here we go again for the hard of thinking.

The whole process of forced marriage and certainly that of a UK Citizen who is a minor should be outlawed. If we are so het up on her(the 11 year old girl concerned) rights then we should arrest the people responsible for this breach. Not play to the audience and just bring her back to the UK.

An example should be made such that this abhorrent(under-age forced marriage) practice ends.

Snaw, perhaps you should stick to discussing football and leave the topics that require more than one neuron, alone. You're just not equipped.

Comment

Ok, here we go again for the hard of thinking.

The whole process of forced marriage and certainly that of a UK Citizen who is a minor should be outlawed. If we are so het up on her(the 11 year old girl concerned) rights then we should arrest the people responsible for this breach. Not play to the audience and just bring her back to the UK.

An example should be made such that this abhorrent(under-age forced marriage) practice ends.

Snaw, perhaps you should stick to discussing football and leave the topics that require more than one neuron, alone. You're just not equipped.
              I'm curious as to how you propose to enforce arresting a citizen of another country, in that country, where presumably this isn't illegal.

Personally getting her back sounds like a result, and I'd be all for prosecting, but I suspect that's a whole different can of worms.

Sorry my neuron wasn't up to simple job of making the connection from you asking who's paying for it, and why is it our job to the blatantly logical step of stating why don't we prosecute. I bow to you your superior debating skills and insightful reasoning on this one.

/amateur.

Comment

I'm curious as to how you propose to enforce arresting a citizen of another country, in that country, where presumably this isn't illegal.

Personally getting her back sounds like a result, and I'd be all for prosecting, but I suspect that's a whole different can of worms.

Sorry my neuron wasn't up to simple job of making the connection from you asking who's paying for it, and why is it our job to the blatantly logical step of stating why don't we prosecute. I bow to you your superior debating skills and insightful reasoning on this one.

/amateur.
                Ask the Yanks, they've had some UK lawyers and bankers extradited, something about Enron, as terrorists...
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

/amateur.
                  Ok, here we go again.

We pay to rescue "someone born in the UK" - no mention of being a UK citizen. This person was subject to something that is illegal in the UK but not in the country that the person was currently in. So, have we "rescued" a british citizen or kidnapped a foreign national?

If we've "rescued" a british citizen then why aren't we extraditing someone for the "crimes" committed against the girl?

Comment

Ok, here we go again.

We pay to rescue "someone born in the UK" - no mention of being a UK citizen. This person was subject to something that is illegal in the UK but not in the country that the person was currently in. So, have we "rescued" a british citizen or kidnapped a foreign national?

If we've "rescued" a british citizen then why aren't we extraditing someone for the "crimes" committed against the girl?
                    Did you even read your own article? It states quite clearly she was taken to Bangladesh at the age of six. I'd say that makes her a British citizen by pretty much any definition you care to mention.

And as I said, if this is legal in Bangladesh then I think the attitude most human beings with heart would adopt would be one of thanks that we got her, not one of hrumph, who's paying for this and why's it our job, you miserable old git.

Scrooge had nothing on you.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                      Ask the Yanks, they've had some UK lawyers and bankers extradited, something about Enron, as terrorists...
                      I know, I know one of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X