• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Find the "end"...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find the "end"...

Students program...

Assembles in MPLAB correctly, no warnings, errors or anything.

Unfortunately does absolucking futely nothing in the circuit.

"Run it on the simulator" says I...

"Won't go" says he...

"Oh dear" (or words to that effect) says I.

Look at simulator.

Reassemble program again (and again)... rom is completely blank...

On closer examination of this pile of... er... "code", it transpires that there is an extra "end" statement in a load of comments...

Remove this & voila! 97 errors.

I was so pleased...

Program still doesn't work, but at least now it gets loaded into rom.

Ho hum.

Crap compilers are. If a person can figure out where the error is (and after all, it does not take huge intelligence, just a bit of experience which should be readily programmable as some simple rules) why can't the compiler do it? Stupid damn things! The lack of really useful advancement since the 60s is astonishing. Oh wow!, Vista can show your open windows in perspective!

I suppose, given the field, all your students are spotty geeky males. You should get into fashion simulations and get some with bigger knockers.

PS Serious, is there any use for lots of old 80s electronic bits, 7400 series etc? Got loads I want to get rid of and seems a shame to chuck 'em.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I always used to put an extra end-card on the stack.

Just in case I forgot to put the end-card in there.

Nothing worse than waiting a few days for your run results and finding a printout in your pigeon hole with only one line: no end-card.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
        Crap compilers are. If a person can figure out where the error is (and after all, it does not take huge intelligence, just a bit of experience which should be readily programmable as some simple rules) why can't the compiler do it? Stupid damn things! The lack of really useful advancement since the 60s is astonishing. Oh wow!, Vista can show your open windows in perspective!

I suppose, given the field, all your students are spotty geeky males. You should get into fashion simulations and get some with bigger knockers.
        You lazy sod!

If you can't write code that works, how can you expect the compiler to sort it out for you?

As for you ZG the student should have been made to sort this out. You've stopped them from receiving the full benefit of the exercise.

I despair, I really do!

Comment

Oi ZG!

What are you doing with all these young ladies who keep "buggering off"?

Do I detect a pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Not really; the fragrant one graduated & has set up a business in Swansea ( ), the generously busted one decided she didn't want to do electronics (very wise) and left.

Neither had teeth marks.

Unfortunately.
            Isn't eating the students defined as a "career limiting move"?

Comment

Working...
            X