• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property prices (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property prices (again)

Love this quote from the telegraph:

The average British house sells for £200,000. In Kensington and Chelsea, that buys you a hole in the skirting board, already occupied by a family of mice. Prices there are going up, on average, by £100,000 a year.
    and from the comments:

Let's just spend, spend, spend. After all, there might not be a tomorrow. And if the worst comes to the worst, there'll always be the soup kitchen, won't there? I love soup!
    Full article here

Last edited by ratewhore; 27 April 2007, 12:57.
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Am I alone in not understanding hocus-pocus economics? How can houses, some of which are being acquired on mortgages of six times the buyer's salary, keep increasing in price at a rate of more than twice income growth?
    He may have a point.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore

and from the comments:

Full article here

If you think about it, the average income for a family is around 50-60k. Therefore 200k isn't a massive price for a flat/house. The average in Central London might be 500k but then again the average income of people living in Central London is around 100-120k if not more. Am I being too optimistic?
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore

and from the comments:

Full article here

Burn the heretic, house prices can keep increasing forever!
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          If you think about it, the average income for a family is around 50-60k. Therefore 200k isn't a massive price for a flat/house. The average in Central London might be 500k but then again the average income of people living in Central London is around 100-120k if not more. Am I being too optimistic?
          £50-£60K is a bit optimistic surely. I'd have thought more like £40K, and only then if both work full time.

I do think these interest rate rises won't do much. If you're completely convinced about house price growth you're not going to be put off by finding an extra couple of hundred a year to pay for a 1/4% increase in rates. It'll only affect people who are borderline insolvent anyway.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Aye RW

Interesting.

One pundits comments from the Spannish meltdown ...

Those of us dealing down here have been warning of a meltdown for over a year and even the banks were talking of a bloodbath months ago. It is reckoned that over 30% of the mortgages taken out are in arrears and rental prices are about a third of last years levels.

On another theme, the Spanish security services have revealed that Al Quaeda have cells operating here now and their aim is to reclaim Andalucia for the Muslims, as a consequence security is to be visibly stepped up here. Can you imagine the effect a bomb at Malaga airport would have.

I always feel that the price of golf shares here is a good measure of the market. The shares in the course over which I look were trading at 28,000 Euro 24 months ago. I bought one in November last year for 3,000. Enough said."

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              £50-£60K is a bit optimistic surely. I'd have thought more like £40K, and only then if both work full time.

I do think these interest rate rises won't do much. If you're completely convinced about house price growth you're not going to be put off by finding an extra couple of hundred a year to pay for a 1/4% increase in rates. It'll only affect people who are borderline insolvent anyway.
              I'd agree that £50K sounds optimistic, although average wages are pushing £25K now.

Regarding the borderline insolvent, I'm willing to bet there are a lot of those as people borrow to the limit to chase house prices.

Comment

Not forgetting credit card debt with people juggling between 0 percent interest deals.

Then there's people remortaging their homes to release equity from house price increases purely to buy tat or pay off other debt.

Then there's those on interest only fixed rate mortgages that are due to end soon.

Plenty of people I know are in these situations. All of them have their heads in the sand to some extent. I'm so smug being debt free
                "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  If you think about it, the average income for a family is around 50-60k.

Comment

House prices will keep rising for now as

Supply < Demand

As supply will not change in the medium term, demand has to fall off.
                    This will only happen if
                    (1) Interest rates rise massively
                    (2) Unemployment increases massively

As both these are unlikely to happen in a 2-3 year time span, I predict continuing house price rises.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X