• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property prices (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defo the case in my area in terms of supply and demand, I paid £330k last year for a 3 bed semi last June (offer made Jan before_, the one next door to same house and crappier condition completed its sale last week for £399k, £69k increase in 12months. Estate agent put it soley down to demand. People dont want to move because of rising rates, so less on the market, but still seems to be alot of people wanting to buy.

Comment

The average certainly seems more likely to be £40-£45k ish per couple than £60k...of which take home will be £30k ish...which is £2.5k ish per month take home...

Take from that:

£300 on food

£200 on petrol

£300 on car (running and depreciation)

£300 on bills (assuming 2 bed house ish)

£200 on clothes

That leaves about £1,300 per month to spend on mortgage, going out, make-up, presents, home maintenance, furniture, gyms/club memberships, pension, holidays, and probably loads of other things I've not even thought of...

Not a pretty picture huh...add in to that interest on loans/credit cards which most people have, nursery fees for couples with kids along with all other kiddie expenses etc etc

Its a wonder how people survive...
      Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        House prices will keep rising for now as

Supply < Demand

As supply will not change in the medium term, demand has to fall off.
        This will only happen if
        (1) Interest rates rise massively
        (2) Unemployment increases massively

As both these are unlikely to happen in a 2-3 year time span, I predict continuing house price rises.
        Yes, but prices are rising faster than wages which means demand has to fall off. The lenders can't keep lending larger and larger multiples of salary, so the number of people who can't possibly get a mortgage will increase. And as the gap between buying and renting widens, the number of people who don't want to get a mortgage will also increase.

The rise has to stop somewhere, even if the economy continues to be good and interest rates don't change drastically.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
          The lenders can't keep lending larger and larger multiples of salary
          Well, they've made a pretty good fist of it to date. They have started to offset it in other ways, like offering longer and longer terms. And if you can't repay in your old age, the house goes to the bank. A cunning plan.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Ok the average income for a russian immigrant on the dole is 51 quid a week.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              Yes, but prices are rising faster than wages which means demand has to fall off. The lenders can't keep lending larger and larger multiples of salary, so the number of people who can't possibly get a mortgage will increase. And as the gap between buying and renting widens, the number of people who don't want to get a mortgage will also increase.

The rise has to stop somewhere, even if the economy continues to be good and interest rates don't change drastically.
              Aye as Wendigo says, the lenders just become more creative ....
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

There is a demand for council housing which is being fueled by private BTLs. Further proof of this can be seen in your council tax bills. I'll give you an example from ours:

PHP Code:
                 Description                        2005    2006     2007
                 Refuge collection                 £2000   £2400    £2500 
                (5council tax total) (4-9yearly increase

Housing council tax benefit    £14000  £15500   £17600 (40council tax total) (10-14yearly increase
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Well, they've made a pretty good fist of it to date. They have started to offset it in other ways, like offering longer and longer terms. And if you can't repay in your old age, the house goes to the bank. A cunning plan.
                  Perhaps that's the next step: interest only lifetime mortgages. You keep repaying the interest until you die, and then the bank gets your house to sell.

Oh wait, that's just like renting.

The stupid would still go for it though "to get a foot on the housing ladder".

The reason for the US crash is all the "sub prime" lenders (that's banks that lend to people with poor history or not much income) have been hit badly by defaults. I know our situation is not necessarily the same, but at some point this all has to start going badly for the banks and they'll have to reign in all the silly deals and get back to responsible lending.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's pretty similar to the US sub-prime problem when lending 5 or 6 times salary. Doesn't take much to change for it to become unaffordable.

All mortgagees are renters, off their mortgage company. They're just gambling that the historical evidence of house prices always rising over time will pay off for them in the time they have the house, whether it be just a few years or 30.

If lifetime and beyond mortgages become the norm then people will be paying for the priviledge of being able to do what they like with their rented property without having to run it past the landlord every time.
                    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

The house I last bought was a place where I could call home, desirable, in a convenient local, a roof over my head, nothing more. Cost me 315K and even then the roof is in need of repair! Investment, investment, investment, no….. it’s somewhere to live, live, live.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X