• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should He Stay or Should He Go?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6594223.stm

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole bloody Royal family shipped over for what they're worth and what they cost. Up the Republic.

They should all come back and leave them to have a civil war and sort it out themselves.

Seems even the military are in general agreement following the number of times one of them has been on the news saying they're wasting their time (and lives) over there.

If there's concern over whether to send one person (Harry) then what does that say about the others over there, they're just cannon fodder so f**k em?
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole bloody Royal family shipped over for what they're worth and what they cost. Up the Republic.
      You really think a "President Blair" would be cheaper?

Oh dear.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

If he's signed up to the army, he should go. That is what he volunteered for. If he refuses to go, he should be thrown out of the army and court martialled as a deserter.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I don't get it. When even a relatively minor government minister goes over for a "morale building" or "fact finding" visit, the press are told the day afterwards.

Yet in this case his unit, the town he'll be serving in, and when he can reasonably be expected to be "at home to callers", have all been common knowledge for months.

A cynic might see the abduction and/or murder of a minor (but nonetheless, troublesome) member of the royal family, as a potential way to regain flagging public support for action in the region?
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
            I don't get it. When even a relatively minor government minister goes over for a "morale building" or "fact finding" visit, the press are told the day afterwards.

Yet in this case his unit, the town he'll be serving in, and when he can reasonably be expected to be "at home to callers", have all been common knowledge for months.

A cynic might see the abduction and/or murder of a minor (but nonetheless, troublesome) member of the royal family, as a potential way to regain flagging public support for action in the region?
            No. Minister visits are quick. You couldn't keep Harry's presence anywhere a secret for a whole tour!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              If he's signed up to the army, he should go. That is what he volunteered for. If he refuses to go, he should be thrown out of the army and court martialled as a deserter.
              Even if his presence puts his men in a disproportionate amount of danger?

A few years ago, would you have strolled about Tehran with Salman Rushdie?

Anyway, he's not refusing to go. The report says that: "Harry had threatened to quit the Army if he was not allowed to serve in a conflict."

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                No. Minister visits are quick. You couldn't keep Harry's presence anywhere a secret for a whole tour!
                Absolutely correct, but why exacerbate the problem by giving such detailed advance warning?
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

"I want you to lay down your life, Perkins."
                  "Right sir!"
                  "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."
                  "Yessir!"
                  "Get up in a crate, Perkins."
                  "Sah!"
                  "Pop over to Bremen."
                  "Yessir!"
                  "Take a shufti."
                  "Right sir!"
                  "And don't come back."
                  "Yessir"
                  "Goodbye, Perkins. God, I wish I was going too."
                  "Goodbye Sah! – Or is it au revoir?"
                  "No, Perkins."
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    "I want you to lay down your life, Perkins."
                    "Right sir!"
                    "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."
                    "Yessir!"
                    "Get up in a crate, Perkins."
                    "Sah!"
                    "Pop over to Bremen."
                    "Yessir!"
                    "Take a shufti."
                    "Right sir!"
                    "And don't come back."
                    "Yessir"
                    "Goodbye, Perkins. God, I wish I was going too."
                    "Goodbye Sah! – Or is it au revoir?"
                    "No, Perkins."