• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should He Stay or Should He Go?"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Imagine if Harry went, got captured and beheaded.

If Arch Duke Ferdi caused ww1, then surely our Kraut Royal family would be pushing to nuke the whole of the Middle East.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    AS long as he doesn't wear his Nazi uniform all the time I'm sure he'll be fine

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong
    "Beyond the Fringe" by Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Alan Bennett and Jonathan Miller.
    Correct, don't you just wish they did comedy like that nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100

What was that from?
    "Beyond the Fringe" by Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Alan Bennett and Jonathan Miller.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    That's what they signed up for as well. They're already in a disproportionate amount of danger just by being sent over there.
    No Bob, disproportionate means compared with the other regiments, which will require special procedures, which could make sending him not worth while.

In any case, as I said, he is not complaining, which was the tenet of your original post.

Not that I like him much anyway. Did anyone list him in the tw@tting thread?

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Go.

Only problem is that if he does go and gets killed, no doubt there will be inquiries for years and years using up loads of public money - as per his mum, so on second thoughts stay.

Save a whole load of lives and money - no brainer really...

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Even if his presence puts his men in a disproportionate amount of danger?
    That's what they signed up for as well. They're already in a disproportionate amount of danger just by being sent over there. Me, I'm not in danger from being blown up in Iraq simply because I haven't signed up for the army. These people made that choice when they signed up, there's no backing out now. No sympathy here I'm afraid. If you sign up to be cannon fodder, then you can't expect to not be treated like it.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    "I want you to lay down your life, Perkins."
    "Right sir!"
    "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."
    "Yessir!"
    "Get up in a crate, Perkins."
    "Sah!"
    "Pop over to Bremen."
    "Yessir!"
    "Take a shufti."
    "Right sir!"
    "And don't come back."
    "Yessir"
    "Goodbye, Perkins. God, I wish I was going too."
    "Goodbye Sah! – Or is it au revoir?"
    "No, Perkins."

What was that from?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    "Right sir!"
    "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war."
    "Yessir!"
    "Sah!"
    "Pop over to Bremen."
    "Yessir!"
    "Take a shufti."
    "Right sir!"
    "And don't come back."
    "Yessir"
    "No, Perkins."
    Splendid - as usual!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    "Right sir!"
    "Yessir!"
    "Sah!"
    "Pop over to Bremen."
    "Yessir!"
    "Take a shufti."
    "Right sir!"
    "And don't come back."
    "Yessir"
    "No, Perkins."

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    No. Minister visits are quick. You couldn't keep Harry's presence anywhere a secret for a whole tour!
    Absolutely correct, but why exacerbate the problem by giving such detailed advance warning?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    If he's signed up to the army, he should go. That is what he volunteered for. If he refuses to go, he should be thrown out of the army and court martialled as a deserter.
    Even if his presence puts his men in a disproportionate amount of danger?

A few years ago, would you have strolled about Tehran with Salman Rushdie?

Anyway, he's not refusing to go. The report says that: "Harry had threatened to quit the Army if he was not allowed to serve in a conflict."

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong
    I don't get it. When even a relatively minor government minister goes over for a "morale building" or "fact finding" visit, the press are told the day afterwards.

Yet in this case his unit, the town he'll be serving in, and when he can reasonably be expected to be "at home to callers", have all been common knowledge for months.

A cynic might see the abduction and/or murder of a minor (but nonetheless, troublesome) member of the royal family, as a potential way to regain flagging public support for action in the region?
    No. Minister visits are quick. You couldn't keep Harry's presence anywhere a secret for a whole tour!

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    I don't get it. When even a relatively minor government minister goes over for a "morale building" or "fact finding" visit, the press are told the day afterwards.

Yet in this case his unit, the town he'll be serving in, and when he can reasonably be expected to be "at home to callers", have all been common knowledge for months.

A cynic might see the abduction and/or murder of a minor (but nonetheless, troublesome) member of the royal family, as a potential way to regain flagging public support for action in the region?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    If he's signed up to the army, he should go. That is what he volunteered for. If he refuses to go, he should be thrown out of the army and court martialled as a deserter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X