• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now let's sort the gents from the chavs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now let's sort the gents from the chavs...

http://bertc.com/english.htm

Try this after the lunch time pint or two. Aloud though, while standing on your chair in the middle of the office. Yes, even if you are working from home.

Next !

(I had Elocution lessons and did unseen public speaking competitions at school).
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by chubba
      http://bertc.com/english.htm

Try this after the lunch time pint or two. Aloud though, while standing on your chair in the middle of the office. Yes, even if you are working from home.
      I don't see anything in there that an educated native speaker shouldn't be able to pronounce at sight; allowing that one or two words have regional variations.

Equally, if it were read at slow speed, every educated native speaker should be able to write it down without spelling mistakes. But I fear it might not be so.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

This one pops up quite regular at various clients as a bit of a laugh. I find the Danes get caught out by the Greek rooted words and especially goddesses: Terpsichore, Melpomene, Psyche.

threaded in "spot the odd one out" mode
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Terpsichore
          lichen
          Melpomene
          enamour
          transom
          Foeffer
          heifer
          skein

I've never heard of any of these!!

And wtf is phlegmatic? That can't be a real word surely!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            Terpsichore
            lichen
            Melpomene
            enamour
            transom
            Foeffer
            heifer
            skein

I've never heard of any of these!!

And wtf is phlegmatic? That can't be a real word surely!
            You'd have us believe you're a heifer...
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              You'd have us believe you're a heifer...
              I refuse to google it - I'll believe you're being kind
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
                Next !

(I had Elocution lessons and did unseen public speaking competitions at school).
                What's an unseen public speaking competition?

BTW: What's wrong with essex boy accent (the cockney accent while chewing gum)?

PS: Everyone spoke with an accent until the invention of queens English
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Not read "Trouble with lichen" by John Wyndham?
                  Take a wild guess
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    PS: Everyone spoke with an accent until the invention of queens English
                    How do you know? Are you THAT old?!!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X