• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now let's sort the gents from the chavs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    That's a "no" then?
    I'm not much of a reader - I dont know how people find the time!

I'd probably read on the train if Suduko's hadn't been invented!
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Ah yes, reading on the train.

I used to do that.

But I haven't been on a train since the end of BR...
      Really?!! Because of your principles against privatisation?
      or did you just become posh and employ a driver around that time?
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

What's an unseen public speaking competition?
        It means you walk up to the judge panel, they give you a handout, you walk on to the stage and have 1 minute to mentally read the material. The judges ring a bell, and then you speak to the morning assembly.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
          It means you walk up to the judge panel, they give you a handout, you walk on to the stage and have 1 minute to mentally read the material. The judges ring a bell, and then you speak to the morning assembly.
          Ok , thanks for that!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            How do you know? Are you THAT old?!!
            Reminds me of the answer on one of those stupid teatime BBC quiz shows to a history question "How could I possibly know that ? I wasn't born then!"

I wonder if you get bonus marks for that in GCSE history these days
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Ok , thanks for that!
              My pleasure.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                Everyone spoke with an accent until the invention of queens English
                The real change came with the advent of Received Pronunciation (RP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation

I used to speak it, but got peed off with being called a Southern Wooftah when I went back home to Yorkshire, so dropped it sharpish.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X