• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=EternalOptimist]Jesus would leave home, consort with prostitues, go for a donkey ride, do a bit of temptation then get hammered with tax./QUOTE]

I think you'll find they were nails.
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

[QUOTE=Captain Dispensable]
      Originally posted by EternalOptimist
      Jesus would leave home, consort with prostitues, go for a donkey ride, do a bit of temptation then get hammered with tax./QUOTE]

I think you'll find they were nails.
      "Well, at least it gets you out in the open air."

Comment

OK I'll stay here 'til they boot me out.

Cheers.

Comment

If you've been at the same cleint for 24 months surely you can no longer claim expenses, whereas with the otheroptions you could makeing the financial inducements better ?
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            Don't really care what u geekz think but I'm bored so for a laugh here goes.

I am faced with 3 options in my contracting life today:-

1. Stay where I am. The project is tulipe, but rate is good. Project may however be canned within the next 3 months. IT dept is going through some budget issues so some contractors have been let go recently. However some contractors have been here years. 1 hour journey to work.

2. Take a contract which is managed by a big consultancy. This project will be taken over by another consultancy in 3 months hence I am uncertain whether there is any security after that. Work is tulipe, but rate is still good, and client is close to home.

3. Take a contract which is paying £15 less/day but is a 6 monther, little chance of extension beyond that. Good client and good work. Again, about 1 hour's travel each way.

I have a family of 5 to feed, so my main aim is to look for longer term contracts.... what would Jesus do?
            If it was me then I'd stay at client, but then I alwys have been loyal to my clients. Next would be the one that pays less.

Cashflow has been poor so I tend to get the longest bit of work possible. I'm pretty certain that the £15 less can be made up by the extra 3 months.

Comment

Hello

Yep I don't claim expenses now and if I were to claim for the new client it would have minimal impact anyway

I'll prob stay here cuz at least they know me and I have picked up a lot of client knowledge that I hope they can use going forward. I just hate having my main skill diluted like this, but the main thing for me is contract longevity right now....

Comment

Staying at the same place for ages rots the brain. In a while you'll look back and say "what the feck did I do with that not-insignificant chunk of my life?"

Option 3. Move.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN

I have a family of 5 to feed, so my main aim is to look for longer term contracts.... what would Jesus do?
                  Give up contracting altogether and heal people instead and feed the family fishes and loaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                    Give up contracting altogether and heal people instead and feed the family fishes and loaves.
                    <ahem>Norks!!!?

Comment

Careful, the Norks have nukes.

Google it if you don't believe me.
                      "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Working...
                      X