• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go

Don't really care what u geekz think but I'm bored so for a laugh here goes.

I am faced with 3 options in my contracting life today:-

1. Stay where I am. The project is tulipe, but rate is good. Project may however be canned within the next 3 months. IT dept is going through some budget issues so some contractors have been let go recently. However some contractors have been here years. 1 hour journey to work.

2. Take a contract which is managed by a big consultancy. This project will be taken over by another consultancy in 3 months hence I am uncertain whether there is any security after that. Work is tulipe, but rate is still good, and client is close to home.

3. Take a contract which is paying £15 less/day but is a 6 monther, little chance of extension beyond that. Good client and good work. Again, about 1 hour's travel each way.

I have a family of 5 to feed, so my main aim is to look for longer term contracts.... what would Jesus do?

Go for the one which pays the most. If you are any good and budget is available it always gets extended

Comment

Jesus would annoint the sores on the feet of the poor. Go out find the dirtiest drunkest tramp and kiss his filthy feet (as jesus did) and accept number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
        I have a family of 5 to feed,

Are you one of these bleedin' Eastern European migrant job theives?

Comment

Option 2 because close to home so commuting costs will be less and you can save more for when it eventually finishes.

Comment

More info -

-- Commuting costs are neglible relative to earnings, i.e. they are my only cost and not significantly different between the 3 options.

-- I am not an E.European immigrant (but thanks for the thought, I would love one of their lovely ladies).

-- Option 3 client has the best work, option 2 the worst. Option 1 work is still tulipe anyway.

-- I have already been at option 1 client for 2.5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
              I have a family of 5 to feed, so my main aim is to look for longer term contracts.... what would Jesus do?
              Spend all your savings in four weeks around the world. Repent yourself and live off state benefits for the rest of your life.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Jesus would leave home, consort with prostitues, go for a donkey ride, do a bit of temptation then get hammered with tax.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

jesus would be busy creating software that the non-believers would not be able to understand thereby ensuring that his contract is renewed
                  everytime even if god decides to question the budget now and again.

Comment

Easy - apply the rule of multiple options - get them to make the decision for you. Ask for more cash to do option3 - say 50 notes a day stating you have another option paying this, if they say no, scratch it from the list of options, repeat as necessary until options=1.
                    HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X