• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Playing the Race Card?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing the Race Card?

Last night I received an email from a mate who I haven’t seen for a few months. Just a general ‘catch-up’ and ‘how are things’ kind of email.

He runs a small dept in a local authority. His receptionist, when she’s having a good day can be very helpful to one and all. When she’s having a ‘bad day’ (which seems to last for up to a week), she can be the most stroppy and obnoxious character alive.

My mate has now received 8 informal complaints from both the public and from other colleagues in the space of a week because of this person’s unhelpful and sometimes downright rude attitude on the phone. He spoke to his HR Dept yesterday on how to tackle this, and he’s been told in no uncertain terms to drop the matter.

The only reason he can think why, is because she’s Black. Like he says, on good days she’s brilliant, but on bad days, the problem is nothing to do with her race and everything to do with her professional approach to people. This is putting him in an impossible position as it makes him appear to those who have complained, that he’s ignoring them or colluding with the culprit.

Have we now, as a nation, completely lost our backbone to the point where we cannot assert problems with a person’s behaviour for fear of them playing the race card? Or is this just typical of local government?

Anyone else come across instances in their work where something similar has happened?

Originally posted by Kyajae
    Last night I received an email from a mate who I haven’t seen for a few months. Just a general ‘catch-up’ and ‘how are things’ kind of email.

He runs a small dept in a local authority. His receptionist, when she’s having a good day can be very helpful to one and all. When she’s having a ‘bad day’ (which seems to last for up to a week), she can be the most stroppy and obnoxious character alive.

My mate has now received 8 informal complaints from both the public and from other colleagues in the space of a week because of this person’s unhelpful and sometimes downright rude attitude on the phone. He spoke to his HR Dept yesterday on how to tackle this, and he’s been told in no uncertain terms to drop the matter.

The only reason he can think why, is because she’s Black. Like he says, on good days she’s brilliant, but on bad days, the problem is nothing to do with her race and everything to do with her professional approach to people. This is putting him in an impossible position as it makes him appear to those who have complained, that he’s ignoring them or colluding with the culprit.

Have we now, as a nation, completely lost our backbone to the point where we cannot assert problems with a person’s behaviour for fear of them playing the race card? Or is this just typical of local government?

Anyone else come across instances in their work where something similar has happened?
    Why post tulipe like this? Seriously - why?

If we ignore you will you just feck off?
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Nice assumption that because HR told your mate to drop it must be because that they dont want to upset the black person.

When you code do you just assume as well?

****** numpty

There could well be a number of reasons why, maybe some member of her family is ill and she is looking after them, maybe xxxx is happening in her life, maybe y is happening in her life, all of which are impacting her abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
        Why post tulipe like this? Seriously - why?

If we ignore you will you just feck off?

Thanks SA - Nice to see someone's PC sensitivites not trying to close down informed and balanced debate.

Comment

WTF is balanced or informed about your debate?

Comment

Originally posted by Harrysp
            Nice assumption that because HR told your mate to drop it must be because that they dont want to upset the black person.

When you code do you just assume as well?

****** numpty

There could well be a number of reasons why, maybe some member of her family is ill and she is looking after them, maybe xxxx is happening in her life, maybe y is happening in her life, all of which are impacting her abilities.
            The issue is HR are not even looking to intervene to try and address the reasons. This cannot be right for anyone in his dept.

Comment

In short, yes.

It's not just race, however; it's the whole suite of potential -isms and -ists.

Tell your mate to be thankful she's not disabled, pregnant and a lesbian too - then he'd never get shot of her...
              The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Thanks SA - Nice to see someone's PC sensitivites not trying to close down informed and balanced debate.

This isn't a debate. Its probably not even real. You've just posted utter tulipe designed to stir up yet more racial hatred on this board.

Its pathetic, its old, and it's boring.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrysp
                  That would be my first line of enquiry - and I wouldn't go to HR first - I'd approach her and have a quiet word. It's the first thing a manager should do. Never assume anything.

Comment

Again how do you know HR arent already looking at this issue, stop ****** assuming

Comment

Working...
                    X