• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK's Response to Iran: Discuss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say I side with the Americans in this:
    Think about your average grunt on the ground (UK or US, but especially US) , 18 to 24.

Most likely poor background, minimal education, pig ignorant of the world and the "bigger picture"

Do you really want someone like that basically deciding if your entire country goes to war? I don't

The soldiers did right
    The Gov so far has done right

If the soldiers are held much beyond 4 weeks, then war should become an option (though not a guarantee)
    If the soldiers get harmed or have to go though a show trial then it should be war

Comment

This will probably sound like a crackpot conspiracy theory, but who cares...

It's seemed to me for the last few years that the more extreme nutcases in the Middle East have a common policy of deliberately provoking the West into war. It's worked brilliantly for them. It makes us look aggressive and stupid - we pile in, destroy the infrastructure, occupy the country and then get bogged down in an unwinable guerrilla war until we finally have to pull out one of these days, tails between our legs like the infidel dogs we are.

The more fronts they can open, the more the unrest will be stirred in the West and the more sympathy the 'underdogs' will get from the rest of the World.

It seems stupid to sacrifice your country to occupation by a far more powerful foreign force, but if they keep this up long enough then it will really start to weaken that power, both physically and politically and morally. And what have they got to lose anyway? The radical loonies I mean, not the general populations of these countries. They're just the innocent victims of the whole thing, as always.

I reckon we're being lured into an ambush which we'll never recover from.

Comment

An ambush, I like the sound of that.

We should fill a patrol boat with SBS and SAS , armed to the teeth, get a sub in there, a carrier nearby and sail the patrol boat around the shat al arab singing 'come an have a go if you think yer ard enough'.

Anyone who knows anything about the military knows that the troops did the right thing. They followed the ROE and their orders. You ever meet these guys and call them pussies to their face and would have to stick a toothbrush up your @rse to brush your teeth.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

"Passport to Pimlico"
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise

If the soldiers are held much beyond 4 weeks, then war should become an option (though not a guarantee)
            If the soldiers get harmed or have to go though a show trial then it should be war
            No point in fighting a war you'd loose.

The Iranians only need to threaten to close the Straights of Hormuz or lobb a missile at a tanker leaving Ras Tanura oil terminal and your contract would soon be over cos the oil price would go 150-200+ dollars a barrell.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
              An ambush, I like the sound of that.

We should fill a patrol boat with SBS and SAS , armed to the teeth, get a sub in there, a carrier nearby and sail the patrol boat around the shat al arab singing 'come an have a go if you think yer ard enough'.

Anyone who knows anything about the military knows that the troops did the right thing. They followed the ROE and their orders. You ever meet these guys and call them pussies to their face and would have to stick a toothbrush up your @rse to brush your teeth.

Well said EO

Comment

Originally posted by dang65

It's seemed to me for the last few years that the more extreme nutcases in the Middle East have a common policy of deliberately provoking the West into war. It's worked brilliantly for them. It makes us look aggressive and stupid - we pile in, destroy the infrastructure, occupy the country and then get bogged down in an unwinable guerrilla war until we finally have to pull out one of these days, tails between our legs like the infidel dogs we are.

The more fronts they can open, the more the unrest will be stirred in the West and the more sympathy the 'underdogs' will get from the rest of the World.

It seems stupid to sacrifice your country to occupation by a far more powerful foreign force, but if they keep this up long enough then it will really start to weaken that power, both physically and politically and morally. And what have they got to lose anyway? The radical loonies I mean, not the general populations of these countries. They're just the innocent victims of the whole thing, as always.

Thats one view - but there is another.

If you ask - who profits from these Middle East Wars ?

Then the answer is - The Millitary Industrial Complex - that is why the US has no intention - as long as Bush is in power - of withdrawiing from any War as long as it generates massive profits.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                  No point in fighting a war you'd loose.

The Iranians only need to threaten to close the Straights of Hormuz or lobb a missile at a tanker leaving Ras Tanura oil terminal and your contract would soon be over cos the oil price would go 150-200+ dollars a barrell.
                  My understanding is that the US warships - never mind Tankers - have no effective defence against the current Iranian Missile technology - apparently the Sunburst class is virtually unstoppable.
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 March 2007, 15:04.

Comment

the more extreme nutcases in the Middle East.
                    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                    The Millitary Industrial Complex
                    It does seem like they're made for each other.

Comment

Agreed. It does seem to me that nobody would have liked Cornwall to sink the Iranian boats more than President Ahmedinejahd (sp?). Some day we may have to oblige him but not yet.
                      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                      X