• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business vs. Techies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Having business nous is one thing. Being a suited prat who talks about "blue sky opportunities" and "thinking out of the box" is another.

I've met a lot more techies with business nous than non-techie managers that aren't prats. Dilbert is very true, especially as soon as you move into the financial sector. The PHB is alive and well, I've met him numerous times in numerous guises.

As is "The Boss" character from BoFH.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

One of the biggest problems I find is getting someone from "the business" to take responsibility for making decisions.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
        One of the biggest problems I find is getting someone from "the business" to take responsibility for making decisions.

Because in the permie mind decision = responcibility = consequences = fear.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Generally, in the permie world you only get fired if you do something wrong.

By doing nothing you reduce that risk to zero.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            'I speak as a former reasonably hard core techie who still enjoys dabbling from time to time',

he's proud of himself as he got MS Word to work on the fourth installation attempt

Milan.
            He never went that far technically but he indulged in some intimate practice with his line manager*. Since that day he has "business" knowledge and believes that he adds value to business.

* Unfortunately that's quite a common practice in UK, I have hardly met people with genuine business knowledge
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              one has only to read the whinging posts on here.
              So why do you stay here if you don't like it? Isn't this a forum for supporting contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                He never went that far technically but he indulged in some intimate practice with his line manager*. Since that day he has "business" knowledge and believes that he adds value to business.

* Unfortunately that's quite a common practice in UK, I have hardly met people with genuine business knowledge
                I supported myself as a techie contractor for 15 years with no bench time apart from when I chose. You on the other hand are a terrorised mediocre permie, not good enough either to be a proper techie contractor nor clever enough to be a manager.
                N'est pas?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
                  So why do you stay here if you don't like it? Isn't this a forum for supporting contractors?
                  Oh I like it. It makes me laugh all the time.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    I supported myself as a techie contractor for 15 years with no bench time apart from when I chose. You on the other hand are a terrorised mediocre permie, not good enough either to be a proper techie contractor nor clever enough to be a manager.
                    N'est pas?
                    N'est pas vrais. Mois? Jamais. Ne voule jamais pas de devenir un gestionaire. Mais tu parles francais vraiment or seulement tu pretendes de parler comme tu pretendes de connaire le "business"? Mais vais te faire flambe', idiot!
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                      N'est pas vrais. Mois? Jamais. Ne voule jamais pas de devenir un gestionaire. Mais tu parles francais vraiment or seulement tu pretendes de parler comme tu pretendes de connaire le "business"? Mais vais te faire flambe', idiot!
                      And that is why you're such a loser
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X