• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I go permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
    ONLY 11K more p/a net. To me that is alot of money. Reality check needed here. I must be on minimum wage for a contractor then if that is nothing for you.
    15% pension is quite good though. Would they really pay the whole 15%?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      15% pension is quite good though. Would they really pay the whole 15%?
      what they actually do is give you a basic and then you can either take the 15% and do what you want with it (taxed as salary).Alternatively you can invest it in their company scheme. However, even taking that into account there's still an 11K net difference. For some of my friends who are not in IT that is there yearly net wages.

Comment

what they actually do is give you a basic and then you can either take the 15% and do what you want with it (taxed as salary).Alternatively you can invest it in their company scheme. However, even taking that into account there's still an 11K net difference. For some of my friends who are not in IT that is there yearly net wages.
        Yes, but you need to add a risk factor to that. You have no guarantee you can count on this difference forever. I have to agree with the geordie bnp lass, it doesn't seem to me to be too much of a difference in the long term.

Also, I don't think that the better rate you get necessarily means a tougher working environment or longer hours, to my experience that is not necessarily related. Perhaps your agency is already charging 5-600 a day and milked a good 30-40% throughout the years, that's why they had no problem with raising your rate.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

ONLY 11K more p/a net. To me that is alot of money. Reality check needed here. I must be on minimum wage for a contractor then if that is nothing for you.

11K isn't "nothing" to me - you've got a right chip on your shoulder!

But it's not enough for me to be self employed for. Its not enough of an incentive to not know where my next gig is coming from. Or if I'm poorly, not get paid. Or have all the stress of worrying about being investigated. Or feeling guilty about takign holidays. or having to pay for my own training. And missing out on works do's and having an actual life at home!!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
            11K isn't "nothing" to me - you've got a right chip on your shoulder!

But it's not enough for me to be self employed for. Its not enough of an incentive to not know where my next gig is coming from. Or if I'm poorly, not get paid. Or have all the stress of worrying about being investigated. Or feeling guilty about takign holidays. or having to pay for my own training. And missing out on works do's and having an actual life at home!!
            If you've got all those worries then maybe you should go permie. I don't have any worries at all. All I can say is relax. Seems like we've exhausted this discussion. I've made my decision and all your advice has been helpful. Cheers.

Comment

TheRightStuff -

In response to your original post (and I've realised your thoughts have probably moved to a conclusion by now) I'd say that you were experiencing the end-of-contract jitters. If you've been there for over 3 years, you might be worrying a bit about the next gig, different office environment, nightmare commuting etc etc.

This is normal.

The solution to this is:

1) Get onto the usual job sources.
              2) Find a suitable contract.
              3) Charge like a wounded rhino.

That will remind you why you're a contractor. I personally am reminded every day why I left permiedom - offshoring, politics and pathetic bonuses. I also get the jitters at the end of any contract, especially the longer ones. That's all they are though: jitters!

(So, I'm just guessing here, I don't know you of course, but that's my 2p).

Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
                TheRightStuff -

In response to your original post (and I've realised your thoughts have probably moved to a conclusion by now) I'd say that you were experiencing the end-of-contract jitters. If you've been there for over 3 years, you might be worrying a bit about the next gig, different office environment, nightmare commuting etc etc.

This is normal.

The solution to this is:

1) Get onto the usual job sources.
                2) Find a suitable contract.
                3) Charge like a wounded rhino.

That will remind you why you're a contractor. I personally am reminded every day why I left permiedom - offshoring, politics and pathetic bonuses. I also get the jitters at the end of any contract, especially the longer ones. That's all they are though: jitters!

(So, I'm just guessing here, I don't know you of course, but that's my 2p).

Z
                Thanks for the Advice. Just to let you know I don't have any jitters at all. If it's meant to be it's meant to be. Like I said before I would be happy to have a a month or 2 off and see my daughter grow. She will start walking in about 5-6 months so it could be perfect timing when this contract expires.

Comment

Fair enough. I'm only saying it because I finished a contract a month ago and was feeling the same!

3 weeks of bench and I'm back on the pitch though.

It's good that you don't want to miss those first months though. I gave up contracting and went permie for a while when my littlun was born as I was working in deepest Germany at the time. Dropped to 1/3 of my contractor net, never regretted it. Mind you, local contracts were much thinner on the ground at the time.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
                    Fair enough. I'm only saying it because I finished a contract a month ago and was feeling the same!

3 weeks of bench and I'm back on the pitch though.

It's good that you don't want to miss those first months though. I gave up contracting and went permie for a while when my littlun was born as I was working in deepest Germany at the time. Dropped to 1/3 of my contractor net, never regretted it. Mind you, local contracts were much thinner on the ground at the time.

Z
                    just had a look at jobserve to see how many local jobs are being advertised. Not many to be honest. The only thing that could move me back to permie would be to work for this bank but also try and get a work from home day.
                    I really fancy doing this on a wednesday. Breaks the week up and I can see my daughter as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X