• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well said Jeff Randall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said Jeff Randall

In the Telegraph today this appeared and I agree wholeheartedly with this. Some parallels to how arguments are conducted on this site (taking a stand that is anti gay being smeared as homophobic for instance)

take a look:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../16/do1601.xml
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

As if on cue here is an article in todays argument to illustrate Randalls point. Because east london is a home for victims no money is too much to stage the olympics. How dare we reject the idea that maybe we should not fork out all these squillions when the poor rejected souls in the east end "need" the regeneration that the olympics will bring to the area?

Sorry but the only regeneration that will accompany this project will be the pockets of the politicians, rich construction businesses, our Ken, seb, pat and of course those of Eastern european construction workers and those employed in IT and call centres in India (who will of course be helping to keep the costs down!).

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...p_welcome.html
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree - it's across nationality, race and religion.

Act like a victim, be treated like a victim...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That's the market DA - best not fight it. If you want your way in the free market best appeal to something that singles you out and use legislation to your best advantage. After all the free market and capitalism are all about getting the best for yourself out of everyone else's labour. Seems to fit in with the greivance culture to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
          That's the market DA - best not fight it. If you want your way in the free market best appeal to something that singles you out and use legislation to your best advantage. After all the free market and capitalism are all about getting the best for yourself out of everyone else's labour. Seems to fit in with the greivance culture to me.

I am not quite sure I understand what point you are making and to what it refers. It looks more like a sarcastic anti capitalism diatribe

Comment

Cancel the trident replacement and use the money for t'olympics!

Churchill - in "jeux sans frontiers" mode!

Comment

"Cancel the trident replacement and use the money for t'olympics!"

Naaah cancel the olympics and buy more rockets which we will never use
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                I am not quite sure I understand what point you are making and to what it refers. It looks more like a sarcastic anti capitalism diatribe
                I will attempt to explain my point to those of a more limited intellect.

We live in a grievance culture precisely because of capitalism. To survive and prosper we must compete by any means. If you are diasdvantaged in any way and there exists a means to gain advantage then take that opportunity. If you are black scream racism, if you are gay scream homophobia, if you are an agent scream "get your fruit and veg here".

In a society where only money matters, how does it matter how you get it ?

Comment

TheOmegaMan: I recon you are spot on.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
                    I will attempt to explain my point to those of a more limited intellect.

We live in a grievance culture precisely because of capitalism. To survive and prosper we must compete by any means. If you are diasdvantaged in any way and there exists a means to gain advantage then take that opportunity. If you are black scream racism, if you are gay scream homophobia, if you are an agent scream "get your fruit and veg here".

In a society where only money matters, how does it matter how you get it ?
                    You say capitalism is at fault withouit explaining the link with your examples. So who has the limited intellect? Capitalism goes hand in hand with the culture of personal freedom and personal responsibility. The problems we have are with the prevelance of the opposite side of the coin which is "the everyone owes me a living" culture. This is why there are so many who desperatly want to be identified as a victim group. Even you contractors like to put out that you are part of one such group, the victim of agents whine is a constant on this site. Quite utterly ridiculous since you earn so much more money in proportion to the responsibilities you take in the context of and what you actually do in comparison with other workers What of course irks is that the govt recognise you as being nasty perpetrators of the capitalist system, and fair targets for taking money to dole out to "real victims".

The more the state does from picking up our litter behind us (how many state dependent people take that responsibility) to dealing with hooligans (we are not allowed to intervene.. it is the states responsibility) the more we look to the state to provide for us and carry our responsibilities on its shoulders for us.

Those who do not scream "victim" (white wealthy men working in private companies who have not been denied rights to see their children post divorce) funnily enough are those who are more closely associated with capitalism and have no dependence on the state.

The victim, "society owes me a living" people are those who are dependent upon the state for jobs housing education. The more they depend upon the state the more they are victims and the more worthy they are of state handouts and the states patronage.

Look at me I am a victim, give me a state handout please"
                    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 17 March 2007, 08:59.

Comment

Working...
                    X