• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

write off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

write off

Got the assessor's report on the wife's car the other day. The bugger's want to write it off! Apparently the car is only worth £600 and the repair cost is £1300.
    So I took it to a repair shop and the guy estimated it at £660. So how can I get £600 out of the insurance company and still repair the car. Its far cheaper to repair it then buy a new one.
    Any tricks?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Keep hold of the car and get the money off the insurance company, hardly difficult.
    They think its scrap so won't be interested in taking it off you.
    the car will become listed as Cat D though and i think you might have to get it MOT'd straight after the repairs.

Edit - don't forget they will subtract your excess from the amount rewarded.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I wrote off someone's Range Rover a while ago (their fault of course). It's still on the road so I guess they must have got the payout and repaired the vehicle.

It should be possible to buy it back from the insurance co. for a nominal scrap price, but the real problem you may have will be getting new insurance and of course it's going to have a poor HPI history if you ever sell it.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        Keep hold of the car and get the money off the insurance company, hardly difficult.
        They think its scrap so won't be interested in taking it off you.
        the car will become listed as Cat D though and i think you might have to get it MOT'd straight after the repairs.

Edit - don't forget they will subtract your excess from the amount rewarded.
        It thought it was non-fault so there is no excess. The salvage value is £50 so I reckon that will be deducted.

It states on the report the car is cat C. perhaps I can get around the MOT - but it will pass it as only the bumper is affected.
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Give the guy £100 in cash if he gives a written quote of £560.

Or, ask some Polish mechanics to sew it back together...
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Wives eh? Good at writing off cars. The missus wrote off our last one.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

aha!
              found this tidbit
              http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022107

apparently VOSA are notified by insurance companies of write-offs and you need to then take it for the VIC, after you've done the MOT and they simply check the VIN's all match on your car.

We'lll see what happens eh?

I'm a bit cheeky as I've told the insurance company that I want £850 for the car and that I can keep it. I really only want £660.

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                It should be possible to buy it back from the insurance co. for a nominal scrap price, but the real problem you may have will be getting new insurance and of course it's going to have a poor HPI history if you ever sell it.
                true. but then this car has been in three previous non-fault incidents. About three years ago every single window including the sunroof was smashed. I'm still find the shardes to this day. But of course it may show up as a previous write-off and that will reduce the value. Given that we're only talking about £600...I don't think its a big issue.

Comment

Working...
                X