• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

imac - $ to £ this sucks..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    Actually I knew about pipelines every since I worked on optimising assembly code for V and U pipelines of Pentium processor

Learn how to lose with dignity bogey, you need this skill when argueing with me
    Actually I think Bogey has bitch slapped you, big time. Your problem is your instruction set lacks the ability to fathom when you've been beat.

You state x86 is superior architecture, you claim this based on the success of x86. You seem to be confusing quality with quantity (Or longevity, or sales etc).

Be an interesting world if we used that as a basis for judgement, many many things in life which we consider superior would by your logic be considered inferior, since they weren't the most successful or been around the longest ...
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

x86 vs PowerPC = VHS vs Betamax.

In neither case did the better technology win. Success for x86 and VHS was based on succesfull exploitation of the market and good business practices*, not superior technology.

*Good for the company practicing them, not nesseserily for everyone else.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

This is a very good illustration how the techies are clueless when it comes to real world where they fail utterly.

Quality means jack all if you can throw enough quantity at it - WW2 is a good example: with all the qualitative superiority that Germans had on the Ost front they failed because quantitative superiority trumps quality: naturally Soviet Union lost a lot more men and equipment but that was just enough to win the war.

Same thing with x86 vs Motorola or even vs Itanium that was supposed to replace "bad" x86 architecture - Itanic has got really nice clean architecture with lots of registers, so what if it is slow as a dog, backwards compatibility sucks, too hot etc - all that supposed qualitative superiority means nothing and despite billions put into it.

So my advice to you is to stop doing what you doing and get out for a change - maybe you will appreciate that there is real world out there.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          So my advice to you is to stop doing what you doing and get out for a change - maybe you will appreciate that there is real world out there.

HTH
          ROFLMFAO

This coming from the 40 year old virgin who can be found posting here night and day on such illuminating topics as what he's just eaten for lunch. Priceless.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

And how successful has SKA been using your real world measure. And given this success what makes your opinion more valuable than a dog terd ?

Comment

Eh snaw, you're so predictable, better re-read on what latency is

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                I’m seriously thinking of buying one of these imac’s 24” screen 2.16GHz looks the business and I don’t play games so do not need demanding graphics, just a reliable machine that does not have to download a new patch every time I switch it on. Really tired of windows now need a change.

So I’m all ready to make a purchase but why does the same machine in the in the US cost £350 less?!!

Sucks…
                I got a Macbook pro a couple of months ago after last using a Mac in 1987 or thereabouts. I considered getting one from the US - there's a thread on here somewhere but decided against it in the end.

Get Parallels and there's no reason not to use a Mac now, it's a great bit of kit, very well made and lots of nice touches. I'm typing this on my new work HP latpop which seems to have been designed by a moron compared to the Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by interested
                  I got a Macbook pro a couple of months ago after last using a Mac in 1987 or thereabouts. I considered getting one from the US - there's a thread on here somewhere but decided against it in the end.

Get Parallels and there's no reason not to use a Mac now, it's a great bit of kit, very well made and lots of nice touches. I'm typing this on my new work HP latpop which seems to have been designed by a moron compared to the Mac.
                  thank you! Finally on-topic response!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
                    thank you! Finally on-topic response!
                    My post was on-topic and I found you a 13% discount...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                      My post was on-topic and I found you a 13% discount...

right you are, however upgrade options are not available as if you were buying new...

my options take me to £1700 or thereabouts... all in a few days work i suppose
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X