• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next Family Car - Petrol of Diesel ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Also, if you buy one of the Skoda "Porsche" derivatives, many of the components will be compatible with your Audi TT thing that you have on order.
    😊😊😊😊😊

very good :-)

Milan.

Comment

Petrol sounds nicer, is cleaner, and the power delivery is more "exciting".

Diesel will give better mpg and cheaper to run, usually sounds like a tractor, and delivers the power in a lazy lump.

A few years ago, buying a big SUV where sexy noises and driving experience weren't at the top of the reasons for buying, I went with diesel - X3 m40d - which I was very impressed with. Great engine, 60 came up in about 5 seconds and more than enough grunt for the road and a car of its size, but would still manage 40mpg on a run.

However, now I'd have to consider the depreciation factor - if you're buying, I suspect with the way the world is going, diesel is not going to be the fuel of choice going forwards, so I'd expect a diesel to depreciate far more than the equivalent petrol.

Tough one - in your shoes, I'd probably ditch the SUV and buy the petrol-powered car equivalent - A6 Avant, Volvo V60, BMW 5 series, something of that ilk.

If I had to have an SUV, I'd probably still go diseasal purely because I couldn't stomach 20mpg in something that wasn't a supercar, but possibly on a PCP/similar deal so I had some insurance against unforeseen depreciation. (Ironically, this worked quite well for me buying a (used) EV, which is looking very likely to be worth a lot less than the balloon at the end of 3 years so will be going back).

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
        Petrol sounds nicer, is cleaner, and the power delivery is more "exciting".

Diesel will give better mpg and cheaper to run, usually sounds like a tractor, and delivers the power in a lazy lump.

A few years ago, buying a big SUV where sexy noises and driving experience weren't at the top of the reasons for buying, I went with diesel - X3 m40d - which I was very impressed with. Great engine, 60 came up in about 5 seconds and more than enough grunt for the road and a car of its size, but would still manage 40mpg on a run.

However, now I'd have to consider the depreciation factor - if you're buying, I suspect with the way the world is going, diesel is not going to be the fuel of choice going forwards, so I'd expect a diesel to depreciate far more than the equivalent petrol.

Tough one - in your shoes, I'd probably ditch the SUV and buy the petrol-powered car equivalent - A6 Avant, Volvo V60, BMW 5 series, something of that ilk.

If I had to have an SUV, I'd probably still go diseasal purely because I couldn't stomach 20mpg in something that wasn't a supercar, but possibly on a PCP/similar deal so I had some insurance against unforeseen depreciation. (Ironically, this worked quite well for me buying a (used) EV, which is looking very likely to be worth a lot less than the balloon at the end of 3 years so will be going back).
        Don't PCP rates take into account forecasted depreciation? Leasing companies must have a good idea of expected depreciation for diesels. It's hard to see any legislation or regulations coming in that would cause the value to fall off a cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Don't PCP rates take into account forecasted depreciation? Leasing companies must have a good idea of expected depreciation for diesels. It's hard to see any legislation or regulations coming in that would cause the value to fall off a cliff.
          Its lack of customer demand.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Ordinarily, but the used market has gone a bit bonkers over COVID so sometimes those forecasts are a bit awry. Doesn't need to be legislation against diesel - if EV ownership becomes (more) attractive, how many buyers will there be for a diesel in 3-5 years time?

Comment

Working...
            X