• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yorkshire People

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yorkshire People

Don't know the difference between a book on sale and a library book.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ry-1-book-sale

A £1 book sale at a town library was “sabotaged” when people filled their bags with dozens of library books.

The fill-a-bag sale at Batley library in West Yorkshire was “decimated” when people raided the shelves, taking children’s books, adult fiction, cookery books and graphic novels – as well as Lego from the library’s Lego club.

Steve McGrath, a volunteer who was managing the event, said he was ringing a bell and telling people only the books on the sale table were for sale. Posting on Facebook, he said he had lost his faith in humanity.

He wrote: “This was a book sale by the Friends of Batley Library, not Kirklees Libraries on Friday and Saturday. Friday’s sale went well but Saturday’s sale was sabotaged by misinformed Facebookers.

“Far too many people filled their bags with actual library books from the library shelves, not from the sales tables, even though I stood on the balcony, ringing a bell and constantly telling people that it was only the books on the tables that were for sale.

“The people who decimated the children’s library, adult fiction, graphic novels and cookery sections of books, have actively stolen Kirklees libraries stock.

“This was atrocious behaviour by some who, through social media, decided that all stock was available to take regardless of my continued announcements. Even arguing and quoting the internet posts saying fill a bag for a pound.

“This wasn’t a purge of books from a closing-down library, as some used it as. It was a regular book sale fundraiser, to provide Batley library events for our children and customers.

“People were even seen putting Lego from our library Lego club in their bags to take. It was like the worst of all jumble sales. I am shocked, saddened and disappointed that this has happened.”

He said the library had never said this was the case “but people took it upon themselves to help themselves”.

“This is the negative power of sharing and adding your own comments on social media.

“I’ve lost my faith in humanity slightly today. I try to do as much as I can for this wider community and although I have been ridiculed by work professionals for my passion, I still dedicate myself to providing positive experiences for the generations.

“I hope the ones who so passionately abused this event, will put the equal amount of passion and effort into trying to save this beautiful building, when we begin our campaign to save the Carnegie library.”

The library is located in a Grade-II listed building and was funded by the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It needs major repairs and may need to be moved.

A council spokesperson said it remained to be seen how many books had been taken and the library would know only when a full inventory had been done.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

You're obviously not familiar with the residents of Yorkshire, they're like the Scots but with all the generosity wrung out.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Sadly there isn't much Yorkshire left in Batley. The only good thing that ever came out of there was The Frontier Nighclub and it's laser show.

Not a good representation of Yorkshire folk.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Sadly there isn't much Yorkshire left in Batley. The only good thing that ever came out of there was The Frontier Nighclub and it's laser show.

Not a good representation of Yorkshire folk.
        you mean Batley Variety Club?
        One of the premier venues in the world that place (was).
        Shirley Bassey did week long stints there.

The biggest news here is that Batley has a library. That surprises me more than the fact that it got robbed.
        Clearly Kirklees council missed that library when cutting everything else.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

you mean Batley Variety Club?
          One of the premier venues in the world that place (was).
          Shirley Bassey did week long stints there.
          That's the one. It had the most epic New Years Eve parties anywhere. Couldn't get in unless you made a good effort with your fancy dress. 2500 people in full fancy dress was a sight to behold. Spent a decade of my life going out there.

Comment

They are being asked to return the books

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-save-building
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's the one. It had the most epic New Years Eve parties anywhere. Couldn't get in unless you made a good effort with your fancy dress. 2500 people in full fancy dress was a sight to behold. Spent a decade of my life going out there.
              Up until the 2000's. Bought some tickets and was a bit irked when one of the door staff smirked as we entered. Soon found out why, the NYE bash had turned into a sixth form night out!!!!!! Ended up in Brooklands next door.

Batley - Red Brick mill used to be ok, but now caters for gay bachelor pads only (that's not a slight just a opinion on the styles presented).
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Up until the 2000's. Bought some tickets and was a bit irked when one of the door staff smirked as we entered. Soon found out why, the NYE bash had turned into a sixth form night out!!!!!! Ended up in Brooklands next door.
                Yeah thats a point. We used to go between about 85 to 95 and drifted off because we were pushing the upper age limits of the crowd. Only shifted to the Collisieum in Halifx and the Aca if we really wanted to be youngest in the building.

Comment

I spent a week in Batley one night....
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Yeah thats a point. We used to go between about 85 to 95 and drifted off because we were pushing the upper age limits of the crowd. Only shifted to the Collisieum in Halifx and the Aca if we really wanted to be youngest in the building.
                    Brave, brave man. I once tripped over an unconscious junkie on the way out of the Aca. Colly was OK but Jumpin' Jax was better :-)
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X